Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 06:49 AM   #21

Try clear silicone along top rubber edge of windshield, even if recently done.
Give it a few days and spray/test it.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Try clear silicone along top rubber edge of windshield, even if recently done.
Give it a few days and spray/test it.
Thanks the suggestion. Last night during a downpour I sat in the drivers seat and waited. No drips at that time but I know for certain there's still a leak.

I'll see about getting some Permatex Flowable Silicone Windshield Sealant. From what I've read that stuff is fairly runny and should work its way into any cracks better than a thicker, caulk-like silicone sealant. Aesthetics matter, too--I don't want a thick, visible bead.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:44 PM   #23

If the glass shop used enough sealant, it's hard to imagine it leaks, but take a water hose and run water down the windshield in different spots until it leaks. You may have to run it for a long time though, but eventually when it begins to drip you will find the source. Consider the angle the van is sitting at too.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:32 PM   #24

Long overdue posting my conclusive findings here, but wanted to wrap it up in case this is of value to anyone else in the future. I ended up using Permatex Flowable Silicone Windshield Sealant, which is real runny. I applied a small amount on the spot where the rain gutter is welded to the cab roof (there was a very small seam there that the Linex didn't cover). The van has sat out in the weather all summer and been used, all during several rain storms and very wet conditions. I've not had any leaks since and am concluding that it has been fixed. Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
SMB Leak.jpg  
Old 10-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #25
Site Team

Garage
Thanks for the update. Something to look into as far as future maintenance.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:00 PM   #26

Just a long overdue follow-up to mention that the leak, after appearing to have been fixed, seems to have returned. Will I inspect and apply more Permatex as needed.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #27

I'm experiencing the same leak from what I can tell. Any updates on your end?

What I've done is to remove the interior panel that hold the visor and rear view mirror. I found this piece to be wet near where the driver side visor screws in.

With this same panel removed, I could put a finger into the area above the head board it was damp/wet. If I crammed my face against the w/s and looked up I saw small droplets of water where two sheets of metal meet, I assume this is a pinch weld area.

I'm guessing I need to test for leaks at two places, the first being the driver side corner of my windshield. Second, check if any water is making it's way through the gutter (closest area near the windshield). I think I saw a post where a SMB owner had developed some rust along the gutter which allowed water to get through.
billroser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #28

Assuming you have a penthouse, you may want to raise the roof and check for rust. Especially if you have the protective tape on the roof. See http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...f-18699-5.html
Old 11-29-2017, 12:17 AM   #29

Bill,
I’ve done nothing further to address this. Since I have a Line-X roof/gutters, and the seal is thorough (except for where I indicated in ththe earlier photo), I’m just planning to use more sealant each year as needed and hope that helps. Right now the van is safely encased in a waterproof RV cover for the winter so it’s not leaking.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:22 AM   #30

Just fyi, had same drip, turned out to be the seal that is located under the glass. The black plastic trim you see that surrounds glass has nothing to do with water, and is just for looks. Windshield replaced and no issue.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote