Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #11

Re: Need post-accident advice

Thanks everyone. This is all very helpful advice

There were plenty of witnesses driving past, but no one stopped. I see your point that he could change his story afterwards. Not sure how I could protect myself against that, other than letting the ins company handle it, as several of you suggested. The accident occurred in CA if that makes a difference.

I did take a photo of his drivers license and on reexamination I see it is a CDL.

Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for all the replies.

Dogmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:04 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Yep, low-life's will lie lie lie. And the well-off do the same. I had a incident where another vehicle and me decided to back into each other in a parking lot. I had stopped for a pedestrian which signaled the lady I was giving her the right away. As I slowly backed, I thought I was on a speed bump and my Aluminess bumper crushed her car...a brand new Altima. It was not an impact hit yet she claimed her neck was tweaked. Because she didn't speak English I didn't know what she claimed until weeks later...yeah right. I hope she dies and goes to hell. Well maybe not but she needs to take a tour there! Take all the pics you can in a wreck.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #13

I was in a small fender bender where the other driver was totally at fault. I felt sorry for the guy and felt he would not have been able to pay the ticket, but seemed to have insurance. Too late for you to do this, but I wrote out a quick statement declaring that he was at total fault and had him sign it. Not sure how this would stand up in court, but I'm sure it placed something in his mind that he'd have a hard time contesting it. His story never changed and his insurance paid for everything.

I think i'd always get the police involved if my SMB was involved. Who knows what damage could be found on the inside with shifting stuff in an abrupt stop.

Hope it all works out for you.
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #14

If you've involved your insurance, it's off your plate. Let them handle it, you shouldn't even talk to the guy again. That's that insurance companies do.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #15

Garage

^^^ that.

we got rear ended a few years and the guy didnt want he police involved. i wasnt comfortable with the situation, but it was on christmas day so the wife wanted to give the guy a break (she was driving). i said the only way the police wernt getting involved is if the guy wrote out a statement assuming all guilt and stating all damages would be covered by him personally. he wrote it all out and signed it in front of me. i took pictures of both sides of his dl & insurance card and followed him to his house to verify residence address. he wasnt happy hearing how much it was to fix the car, but he didnt try and skimp out either. he also paid for a handfull of chiropractor visits for both of us. in the end, it turned out better for us cause any insurance would have totalled the car out in a heartbeat (car was a 1991 civic). rare case i know, but thought id share what worked for us.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
If you've involved your insurance, it's off your plate. Let them handle it, you shouldn't even talk to the guy again. That's that insurance companies do.
Agreed. And as others have pointed out, that's part of the company's job.

Once upon a time, I backed my brand new Chevy truck over the hood of an equally brand new Chevy Camaro of the fire engine red variety. My fault. The teenage girl's dad was not happy and definitely not friendly. I would politely respond to his threatening phone calls by telling hi to have insurance co. talk to mine. It all went away after a while.

OTOH, I have paid for minor scrapes out of my pocket to keep my policy clean. (This was in an earlier time when a young man's insurance cost a lot.)

Then again, don't you have uninsured motorists coverage? In NM, you don't go outside without it.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:46 AM   #17

Today I received yet another letter from my insurance company about an accident my daughter had in 2008.

She rear ended a woman who had stopped on an exit ramp. Speed was about 5mph with zero damage to both cars.

She claimed all sorts of injuries and each of the kids is claiming injuries as they become adults. I am not sure how many people were in that crappy Topaz. Maybe 20. I am really getting tired of it.

Now, I call the cops anytime there is an accident. Without fail.

I was hit by a woman who ran a red light while I was turning left. No injury but I called the cops anyway. She called all of her guy friends who started to show up. Screamed at me, blah, blah, blah. Cop said I was at fault. Gave me a ticket. Judge threw it out and my insurance is going after her.

In both instances they were immigrants. Not trying to be offensive, but there is a different mindset when you come from less. Oh well.
Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #18

I keep getting ready to post an update and then the story takes another twist. I did turn it over to my insurance co as suggested. There is a lot to learn about how car insurance claims are processed....

SMB is getting repaired and I'm paying the shop extra to touch up some old scuffs while they're at it, so that part is going okay. I will post again when I feel like the tale is stable enough to tell. Thanks again to everyone who jumped in to give me advice early on when I really needed it.

I should probably put this in another thread, but completely unrelated to this incident I had occasion to ask SMB West how much they charge to repair or replace the penthouse canvas for an EB. The answer is they don't repair, only replace, and it costs $2289 plus tax, installed. For that you get all new canvas with two mesh windows up front that can be unzipped. (I currently have the mesh windows that don't unzip, so that's a plus for me.)
Dogmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #19

Wow. I was curious about that too. I wonder if an RB is maybe $1k cheaper???
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Wow. I was curious about that too. I wonder if an RB is maybe $1k cheaper???
Sorry. They quoted me that on my old RB as well.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote