Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #11

I'd abandon all thoughts of stealth if you are going to be running air conditioning and a generator.
Especially if you are going Sprinter, have you considered having a second alternator and a large battery bank? I have 7200Wh of LiMnFePO4 batteries in my rig, and can run the air conditioning off battery alone for two hours continuous operation - more if the system is cycling on and off. Add a high output second alternator and you can recharge the batteries in a few hours of idling, or less if you are running down the road.

Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:21 AM   #12

If you have the bank account, you could look at Advanced-RV. They should be able to handle most things on that list. They use the Volta power system, enough battery power to run air on high for 8 hrs. I believe they also use the Rixen Enterprise heating/hot water systems, and go out of their way to keep water lines from freezing. There web site is not all that informative if just browsing, but there are some nice Utube videos of their stuff.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #13

Good luck on your quest. I'm not betting on your victory. There is a small fuel cell generator available (or almost) for RV's. I don't think it will run an AC continuously, but it is worth investigating.

2017 Roadtrek SS Fragile
chut2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #14

Danhard A/C

Regarding the stealth AC, we had Sportsmobile install an under seat (and under van) Danhard air conditioner in our high roof 144 4x4 Sprinter. It has worked well for us. Our conversion is now 18 months old with only a couple of very minor issues. We checked out several manufacturers and visited two SMB locations before selecting them as our custom converter. The condition of the 10-year-old conversions we examined convinced us that Sportsmobile has long-lasting quality.
OurayMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:57 AM   #15

Garage
I would suggest a thorough study of the Home built-Ground up forum on this site.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Sportsmobile North is in Indiana as you may know and they get great reviews.
Yes, I'll second that. Sportsmobile North built our Sprinter 4x4 2500 hightop RV and we were very happy with our build. We only had a few minor issues which were quickly corrected. The crew there is amazing to work with.

They are even replacing, under warranty, some cabinet panels which became swollen from contact with a small amount of water, but I'd rather that Sportsmobile used material that was more water resistant.
grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #17

Glad to hear that @grinnelljd

Please tell them!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Glad to hear that @grinnelljd

Please tell them!
Yes, I already drafted a letter to Sportsmobile corporate questioning their choice of cabinet material, but I thought I'd wait until after I visit Sportsmobie North and get their direct take on the matter.
grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:41 AM   #19

Garage
Yeah, please do. I've heard so many different stories about material used, like everyone else. Looking at SMB website, it says they use "Corelight, stronger than most hardwoods".... Be interesting to hear their reasoning.