Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
arctictraveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkAndRelish View Post
Honestly I wouldn’t mind removing mine either. What did you put in it’s place? I would like more storage but I wouldn’t want to have to fabricate anything to put in its place.
I put mine in place of the rear window, but I don't know where yours is, how about a photo?
__________________

__________________
Arctic Traveller
KC6TNI
2001 GTRV
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
www.arctictraveller.com
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I put mine in place of the rear window, but I don't know where yours is, how about a photo?
I'm actually talking about the microwave. I'm wondering what you put in there instead or if it's just an empty box now?
__________________

MilkAndRelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
BrianW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,285
I think builders put in microwaves to get the RVIA sticker and/or to qualify as an RV over a conversion van. Usually the requirement is to have a cooking source and sleeping facilities, so if there is no gas stove the microwave fills that need.

My SMB had an old-school slide out shelf and open area for a 13” tube TV. I retrofitted a silverware drawer and a cabinet in that area. Write up is somewhere here in the forum. Was a good reuse of the space that you might consider.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 6,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I think builders put in microwaves to get the RVIA sticker and/or to qualify as an RV over a conversion van. Usually the requirement is to have a cooking source and sleeping facilities, so if there is no gas stove the microwave fills that need.
Very good point. It's always good to remember, as we question lots of things aobut our camper vans, that a lot of things are simply driven by the RVIA guidelines. That's why they may not make sense to us and may not be in the least user friendly, but they get the converter past the damn government mandates so they can sell them to us.

Also, having spent lots of time in a truck seat, a truck driver always knows what's behind him/her. You can see the shadow.

__________________
98 Silver E350 V10 home build
Rusty the Rusty 95 SMB (sold)
Tryptovan the blue CCV van (sold)
Vans flip flops
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
arctictraveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkAndRelish View Post
I'm actually talking about the microwave. I'm wondering what you put in there instead or if it's just an empty box now?
I simply installed a fiddle along the bottom edge (a raised lip) and use it for food storage. A piece of door skin covers the holes on the bottom. The very bottom compartment (below the microwave) now has a false bottom that can be easily removed so I have storage below, then seperate storage on top of the wood shelf.
__________________
Arctic Traveller
KC6TNI
2001 GTRV
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
www.arctictraveller.com
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I simply installed a fiddle along the bottom edge (a raised lip) and use it for food storage. A piece of door skin covers the holes on the bottom. The very bottom compartment (below the microwave) now has a false bottom that can be easily removed so I have storage below, then seperate storage on top of the wood shelf.
Great, thanks for the response! I may try to do the same thing.

Another question for GTRV/Sportsmobile owners --

What do you use for covers for the bed and the folding bench seat? I want to leave something on there that can be pulled off and washed!

-Eli
__________________

MilkAndRelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.