Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2015, 10:18 PM   #21

Re: New member - some questions :)

BoyWonder and 1der, thanks to both of you for breaking things down for me. I've been in minivans that don't have rear air/heat, so if those are hard for me to deal with (in the southeast, especially), then I think the bigger vans will be even worse.

Rear AC/heat is going on my must-have list. Now if I can just decide on everything else.

MyJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4sporty
I get 12-14 MPG average.
Elkmont is a campground in the Smokies.
I will PM you the dates when we get them nailed down.
Sporty, I've never been to that campground, so that'll be great. Thanks, again!
MyJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:34 PM   #23

Window vans lose about 8"-9" or so of interior width from the interior trim.

This may be true at the lower levels but does not effect a side to side bed if you are short enough. A side to side bed makes a huge difference in layout if it works for you.

We have an EB passenger / window van. We set the top of the foam pad for bedding such that its just above the lower ledge of the windows and have as much side to side length as in the cargo van. I am 5' 11" and can sleep side ways. For me personally I sleep a bit diagonally because my "side" is up against the rear doors which is a couple of inches narrower than where my wife sleeps which is toward the inside (front). This due to the taper of the van it is a couple of inches less to the rear than where area she sleeps. the height of the bed platform leaves about 18 inches of clearance under the bed platform for storage.

Our bed is 4" thick foam, 48 inches wide and 72" (side to side in the van), no pop top. We use one of the stock benches running along the driverside wall as a lounge which goes well with the swivel front passenger seat. It has worked well.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:22 AM   #24

The only thing I would add is be skeptical that one vehicle may get more mpg than another especially when built out as a relatively heavy Sportsmobile-type rv.

Yes, there are small differences, but in my non-engineer opinion/knowledge/experience it takes a certain amount of BTU's (or other appropriate unit of energy) to move a certain amount of MASS. You can accomplish moving that MASS with a small engine sipping 1/2 the gas per cylinder but spinning at twice as many rpms (and using a many-geared transmission to leverage that less powerful engine to move that MASS) or use a larger engine which guzzles 2x the amount of gas per cylinder (and which may not need as many gears to move the same MASS). It still comes down to the same amount of fuel because the laws of physics (and I have never taken a physics class) in my experience state that it takes a certain number of units of energy to move a given MASS regardless of the engine/transmission combination.

Recent case in point. My neighbor who owns four IDI diesel Ford pickups used for business just bought a Dodge 2500 with the 6.7L Cummins - for the reputed increase in mpg - and he is disppointed because the way he uses his vehicle he gets only a little better mpg over the 20-year old paid-off 7.3L IDI Fords but does get more power, monthly car payments, higher registration fees, higher insurance premiums, DEF, a turbocharger and other complexities and more expensive maintenance with the newer 6.7L Dodge.

And be doubly skeptical of our gov't including the published EPA fuel mileage stats per vehicle. Remember last year when Honda lost in Small Claims Court because they way over stated their mileage claims and the court would hear nothing of Honda's argument that the "EPA made us publish them." It was overturned on appeal but the principle stands, the EPA is overstating the improved mileage benefits of newer vehicles.

And oh yeah, if you like seeing the country around you where you park your van, get a window van. It comes with rear air and heat and you don't need to install windows or walls. And if you add a fixed fiberglass top, you can put all your storage up there. Anyway, that's my two cents.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #25
Dia

Re: MPG - I have a minimally built out (i.e. light) E350 2WD window van with the 5.4L and I get 16-ish.