Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2015, 08:05 AM   #11

Re: new smb owner winter storage questions

We live in Colorado and tried the tarp idea twice. Unfortunately the Chinook winds ripped the tarps to shreds each year. Ditto on the Vodka. Flavorized taste next year.

docd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #12

If you have an air compressor I recommend blowing out your lines instead. Enlist a helper to open one valve at a time while you blow air in to the inlet. I just cut up an old piece of water hose and screwed it in to the hookup, then force the rubber air nozzle into it. It makes a good seal. I hate that pink stuff.
This method also makes it a lot easier to use your van if you decide on a quick trip. Fill with water and go.

As for the cover, howbout a cheap shelter like Northern Tool sells?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200411388

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:32 AM   #13

Hi,

Welcome to the spending club known as SMB ownership.

I've tried covering vehicles in the past for winter protection and find the wind flaps the cover around so much that paint damage is the usual result regardless of how tightly the ropes are kept.

Blow out the water lines, drop in a cheap martini, and make sure the AC / heater system is in a position so the flappers are closed to the exterior to prevent critters from entering the system. Nothing worse than a urine soaked mouse nest built in the heater/AC box. Prevent mice from getting into the engine air intake as well for the same reason. Seal any holes in the body too. Very coarse steel wool works and can be mixed with spray foam to make a sort of reinforced body plug.

Keep the batteries topped up with a trickle charger meant for battery maintenance.

Fill the fuel tank to prevent condensation from building up in it.

Change the engine oil in the spring after getting the oil good and hot on the first start to flush out any condensation there.

Cry regularly about the depreciation winter is eating up instead of you driving it...

Apply regular whiskey doses to owners lips for warmth and comfort.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 11-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #14

I use air to blow out all the lines. First I dump all the tanks. fresh, gray and black. Then I drain the hot water heater. I attach the air hose with about 30lbs of pressure then go around and open all the valves. Don't forget the hand held shower if you have one and cycle the toilet if you have one also. BTW the hot water heater is open all this time so it is being blown out too. This seems to clear all the lines pretty well. Then I pour some pink antifreeze into all the tanks just for fun. This also leaves some in the sink traps. Oh don't forget to drain and blow out the fresh water tank. All this takes less than an hour.
oldbernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:09 PM   #15

Great info - thanks! We just winterized our sportsmobile today for the first time thanks to you and your info. Our neighbor said their rv dealer said to keep all drain caps off and valves open. Does anyone do this? They said this would get any remaining water out as u drive as well as evaporate anything that may not have gotten blown out. Thoughts? I'm thinking bugs/dirt might get in.
bpeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #16

Garage

OK. So yes I knew better... but the other night we rolled in real late after a long 9 hr drive home from CA on our way back from Baja. Wasn't planing on getting home to Single digit temps at the house when I pulled into the driveway.

So I did a quick unscrew of the drain for the water tank and the drain back by the exterior fill, left faucets open and let the tank drain out. Needless to say everything was frozen solid by am. Not looking like warm day temps for a few more days til I can flush some cheap vodka thru the lines/pump. Other than plugging in a few space heaters in the van - any thoughts? No way to get the van in the garage now that I DeQuiglified it w/ UJOR 6" kit and 35s so it lives outside now in the snow

Thanks for the advice

-d
Old 09-10-2016, 12:18 PM   #17

Any other ideas about a shelter for the SMB? I'm contemplating snow protection for this winter. Thinking bout building a shelter for it, it's very tight quarters that I have to build with so I can't buy a prefab shelter.

I've heard tarps will do more damage than good ...