Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 05:11 AM   #11

Garage
@NomadQ - I just choose the one that was closest to fitting with the bumper upright fairly vertical and bent it with pliers to the approximate shape needed then let the bolts and washers do the rest. I did still have to force the upright in to get it to fit (just on one side as I recall), and also ended up using a short strap on one side and the long one on the other. There is a lot of tolerance stack-up with all this stuff, so I wasn't concerned with it.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
@NomadQ - I just choose the one that was closest to fitting with the bumper upright fairly vertical and bent it with pliers to the approximate shape needed then let the bolts and washers do the rest. I did still have to force the upright in to get it to fit (just on one side as I recall), and also ended up using a short strap on one side and the long one on the other. There is a lot of tolerance stack-up with all this stuff, so I wasn't concerned with it.
Awesome thanks for loaning me some confidence Drizzt! I’m going to knock it out this morning.
NomadQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #13

On occasion I have added a large fender washer or two, typically on the lower bumper attachment frame bolts, as spacers to help correct the angle of the bumper relative to the body.

NomadQ - let me know if you need some help.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #14

@1der - Thanks for, well, ALLLLL the freakin' help you've already provided man! Can you believe in the heat of just bringing the parts home I actually got it all mounted same day! LOL just couldn't wait. It was just the hinge strap that had me apprehensive of chipping off the pretty powder coat. I can finally call it DONE + box mounted. Next up..door talon. Thanks again @1der & @Drizzt!
NomadQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry View Post
Just my 1cent on this but I would loosen the two clamps on the riser mount the wheel with low air pressure and get it looking good and tighten then air up. Seems simple and I would use the top and bottom lug holes.

...you will have to air down to get the tire off the mount when you need it.....

If you want to try this, air up just barely enough to take the slop out and no more.

This could be a bit dangerous....airing up to take up the slop can create very large forces on the mounting hardware. People are injured and killed every so often using tire changing machines...when they fill the tire without first loosing the spun on cone retainer. The air pressure across the large area of the tire sidewall generates enough force to pop the cone nut off the threads at very high speed/force...sometimes right into people's heads/faces.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #16

Garage
Aluminess E van tire carrier

Maybe I should start a new thread but I'm just going to throw this out there.
I can't for the life of me understand why Aluminess didn't put some kind of adjustable stop or at least a stop pin on their (210009.1) tire carrier. Good way to crack a lens.
Guess I'll have to come up with something. Just saying.......
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF5028.jpg  
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
Guess I'll have to come up with something. Just saying.......
My new Buckstop-Reunel has a spring-loaded pin. It rides up the stainless ramp, and stops the swing arm at 120-degrees when the pin drops into the ramp at the top. You lift the pin for closing, or to open it 180 but there's nothing to hold it open at 180.

But yeah, my old Reunel didn't have a way to hold it open. And it had manual latches, so I cracked the taillight when I drove away thinking the tire was shut, but it wasn't latched and swung open hard on the first turn.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6830.jpg  
Old 06-20-2019, 08:12 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
My new Buckstop-Reunel has a spring-loaded pin. It rides up the stainless ramp, and stops the swing arm at 120-degrees when the pin drops into the ramp at the top. You lift the pin for closing, or to open it 180 but there's nothing to hold it open at 180.

But yeah, my old Reunel didn't have a way to hold it open. And it had manual latches, so I cracked the taillight when I drove away thinking the tire was shut, but it wasn't latched and swung open hard on the first turn.

Yeah, thanks.
I'll come up with something.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:46 PM   #19

Garage
Does anybody have the old style, round tube Aluminess carrier? I would like to know the dimension from the face of the swingarm where the tire makes contact to the face of the triangular plate with the three wheel studs that hold wheel in place. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #20

I measured 5 1/2"
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote