Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #1

New van build questions

So i found a deal I couldn't refuse and ended up pulling the trigger. 2014 e350eb quigley 4x4 1,728 miles. About 10k in aftermarket fox suspension, rims, tires, stabilizer, dvd/navi, audio, rigid light bar/head lights, ford factory 5 year warranty with ford 3 year extended warranty and more. So I bit the bullet and am now looking to start my new and improved build.

Now since most of the threads I've found on topics are older topics and it is now 2016 I was hoping to get some insite from guys that have been there done that and what works best. Some questions I have after extensive reading and going through guys builds from the past.

Rust. Being from the NE I will do my best not to drive when the roads are salted, and when I do I will treat and wash the undercarriage. But my question is for the interior. I was thinking of the reflectix material glued directly to the van walls then possibly foam board with ply and vinyl.

I don't want to rust out from moisture from the interior out, and saw some professional installations of spray foam which won't allow the walls to sweat since it doesn't leave any gaps. Or rhino liner/line X applicator to put against the metal to keep the walls from sweating in turn helping from rusting from the interior out. Any advice on these options? Is reflectix glued enough or have people still had problems with the sweating and interior rust on the floors after that application?

What did you use for insulating and how did it work for you? I won't be screwing down the floor either. I don't want 100 screw holes in the bottom of the van floor I can just imagine the rust that will come with that. I was thinking a floating floor of plywood either glued down and jammed in tight or something else not sure yet but wanted to start with walls and best insulation to help protect/prevent moisture rusting from the inside out.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #2

Well tried to post several pictures but only one picture of my van posted idk why. Still learning how to post pictures on here from my phone.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:50 AM   #3

Awesome van...love the color....and you've got the black grille, etc.....just awesome......

I ended up fastening the floor using pre-existing holes in the van floor....then again mine had passenger seats...I know there are lots of opinions about this but IMO you really don't need a lot of fasteners holding the floor down depending on how your floor is constructed.

For example, I relocated the jack holder in the right rear corner to another location, that freed up 3 holes for fastening the floor......

Hopefully you'll get more pics posted...
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:26 AM   #4

Nice find!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #5

Thanks guys appreciate it. Also another question I was thinking about, I didn't want the rain gutter guards rusting out like some often do, is there a silicone or something I can do to treat or put in the gutter all the way around that will help prevent that?