Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #1

Newbie here. Is this a good deal?

Hi all
I have a chance to buy a SMB and found this forum. Looks like a Kool place.
If my lingo isn't right, sorry. I'll catch on

It is a 1995 Dodge 3500. 360ci. 189k miles. New tires, brakes. Not the poptop. No propane. All electric. Central air and heat. Fridge. Sink. Water heater. Microwave. No cooktop. Porta-potti. TV w/dvd. Generator. Probably more I can't think of.

Seems solid. Looking around seems like 5 grand is a pretty good deal. Is it?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #2

Re: Newbie here. Is this a good deal?

Does it have a fixed high top on it then?

The more important question is, does it have the amenities that YOU want? If you want a poptop, 4x4, and a diesel, then it is a terrible deal as you'll be buying twice. Without propane, it sounds like it is set up to be on shore power more often than not. Do you plan on staying primarily in RV parks or places with access to power? Without that, I don't think you'll be running your heat or AC unit.

Generically speaking without knowing more or seeing pictures, I'd say that is a reasonable price for that era of 2wd Class B, but not necessarily a smoking deal.

edit to add: WELCOME! this indeed is a cool place!
Old 12-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #3

Thanks Rockbender

Yes, fixed roof. Kinda slants back with 2 windows that maybe look like eyes.

As far as what I want. Want to get out again. Could use a cooktop, but I can get by with BBQ, Coleman stove and hotplate/elec. skillet. It does have what is "needed" to get by on.

It is equipped with a generator if not plugged in.

Reasonable is satisfactory. Of course "Smokin'" deal is always better.

Maybe I'll look at it further and hit the road if I do get it.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #4

You also did not mention if it is just you traveling, that would change things in my opinion, especially if you are solo. The main thing you loose with no pop top is the ability to stand up while camping. The benefit is lower profile and a little more stealthy...

Also is it original owner with records?

Not a bad deal, but I'm not a Dodge guy (wasn't a Ford guy either, but now I own one of those).

Maybe you can talk them down, and this can be a trial run to see if you even like one of these machines, that is one of the reasons we bought our 1988 Ford 4x4 van.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #5

Yes, just me solo. I can stand up in the front area.
This came from the original owner, with build records, owners manuals. No service records.

I did get it for a little less. I am heading to Cali from Texas by the end of the week for my trail run.
I will put up some pics in the rides? section.

Thanks for comments and opinions.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #6

I have a rig a lot like this.

-if you have a propane tank and heater. You maybe able to put in a stove for very cheap. Mine was preplumbed. If you want a stove (I love mine now that it is in), you can buy one for about $50. If it is the same layout; check next to the stove for a cut out. Pull the drawer out and look up, you may be able to cut out the stove hole with a utility knife. A copper propane line maybe running next to the sink. Connect your stove to this with a simple gas line from home depot ($10). You can also check if you are preplumbed but crawling under the propane tank and look to see if there is a line running under the rig. Mine needed to be reflared and though I tried I was no good so I recommend at this point you take it to a shop and have them flare the line, junction it and pressure test it; about $100. Totally worth it.

-My rig is heavy and if the brakes were done you might go to a shop; have them check the brakes and make sure the rear brakes are in adjustment. I fried my brakes this fall because although I had a brake job done recently the rears were not adjusted and the Cali mountains fried them quick.

If you want to know about anything else let me know.

How smoking of a deal you got all depends on how long that engine lasts. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #7

5Gs for any kind of a running SMB sounds like a pretty good deal. Spend $100 to have a mechanic you trust go over it closely and if it passes - jump on it.

Forget about the features you want - just make sure it has the features you need.