Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #1

Garage
No power brakes today

Timing couldn't be worse. After the recent engine in/out, the replaced rear diff (six weeks at the dealer) and the airborne awning ripped off my rig all good again, I finally planned a trip through Arizona. Two days of packing, food for 8 days of isolation and numerous SMB projects finally wrapped up, I headed out at 4:30 this morning destination Monument Valley with tons of photo gear, mountain bike, and beers. Got as far as Boron (a bit past Mojave) when I noticed I had no power brakes. Uh, what could I do to fix this here? NOTHING. I limped backed to Mojave to a useless Ford dealership, then back further to Lancaster where I am now and probably will be for three days (more if parts need to be ordered). Got a service appt first thing Monday.

Forget Arizona, camping, and the awesome sunsets that I won't see now. Waited a year for this trip. I'm now in a shady spot perspiring in 100 mid day Lancaster degrees in a parking lot across from a Lowes home center trying to figure out what to do for 48 hours. Not the story of rainbows and colorful sunrises I was hoping to bring back to this forum. This defines F*ck story.

So, the parts guy was nice enough to give me copies of the parts diagram for the brake stuff under the hood. The likely bad part (the one they usually replace) is in stock here but access is quite challenging with the SMB front end. I'm xpecting plenty of moaning about it being an SMB and labor charges into four figures? Anyone have experience with this issue?

At least there's someone else's wireless available in this lot......

Old 07-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #2

Re: No power brakes today

I'm guessing you lost the vacuum pump? You're not the first, nor the last to have that happen.

Sorry for it to mess up your plans. It could have been worse, no accident and nobody got hurt. Two of our longest trips (Newfoundland and Alaska) we spent 5 days at a dealership getting repairs. It was a pain both times, but nobody got hurt and we survived. And we got to know St. George, BC and Sydney, NS much better than we anticipated.

Good luck with the repairs,

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #3

Are they sure the part or hose was not damaged in the engine R&R?
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #4

Garage

Yeah I think it's the vacuum system, too. Additionally, the dash control that selects the vents doesn't work and now all air comes from one vent setting, the one I don't want, of course. I hope that is vacuum controlled and will work again.

I've had the van for over two weeks since the engine work and it's been fine, though noisier than before. Today the noise was worse, and there was a clanging sound that I hope is just the shot vacuum pump.

I got stir crazy and left Lancaster today for the two hour drive home. I felt confident that I could make it safely with reduced braking capacity. Not a good thing on a 10K# rig, but I was careful. Now I can go to my local dealer Monday morning that I'm good with and be home for two to four days instead of in hell. Maybe I can salvage a few days of this vacation week.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #5

No power brakes today

Hope so Jeffrey, sorry to hear your plans got shot.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #6

No power brakes today

Had to cancel an eight day vacation because sickness. Another three week vacation in Africa turned difficult because of a cold I brought with me. Most of the time was spent in the hotel room. Ruined vacations are no fun.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #7

Hi Jeffrey,

I think you made a wise choice going back home. Your brake system is not compromised just unassisted. The A/C and Heater controls are also on the vacuum pump system so that's almost for sure the problem. I think like most cars with vacuum controls it defaults to the defroster duct. At any rate it is always nicer to be stuck at home or where you want to be then on the middle someplace you don't care to be. Maybe your dealer can get you going quick and easy on Monday and then you can enjoy the rest of your week off.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

I lost my pump on the way to the valley of fire meet last year. Sucked. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll find a simple leak otherwise hold on to your wallet. It makes sense to do what Badger did. My van was so heavy trying to stop was too dangerous to try and drive it. If somebody would have done something stupid in front of me on the road, it could have been really bad.

Good luck.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Timing couldn't be worse. After the recent engine in/out, the replaced rear diff (six weeks at the dealer) and the airborne awning ripped off my rig all good again, I finally planned a trip through Arizona. Two days of packing, food for 8 days of isolation and numerous SMB projects finally wrapped up, I headed out at 4:30 this morning destination Monument Valley with tons of photo gear, mountain bike, and beers. Got as far as Boron (a bit past Mojave) when I noticed I had no power brakes. Uh, what could I do to fix this here? NOTHING. I limped backed to Mojave to a useless Ford dealership, then back further to Lancaster where I am now and probably will be for three days (more if parts need to be ordered). Got a service appt first thing Monday.

Forget Arizona, camping, and the awesome sunsets that I won't see now. Waited a year for this trip. I'm now in a shady spot perspiring in 100 mid day Lancaster degrees in a parking lot across from a Lowes home center trying to figure out what to do for 48 hours. Not the story of rainbows and colorful sunrises I was hoping to bring back to this forum. This defines F*ck story.

So, the parts guy was nice enough to give me copies of the parts diagram for the brake stuff under the hood. The likely bad part (the one they usually replace) is in stock here but access is quite challenging with the SMB front end. I'm xpecting plenty of moaning about it being an SMB and labor charges into four figures? Anyone have experience with this issue?

At least there's someone else's wireless available in this lot......
Ugh, sorry to hear the news. I've actually spent some time in Boron and can say once in a lifetime is more than enough.

Was the loss of brake power sudden, or did you notice some gradual deterioration?

This is something I'll ask my SMB service shop to check on the next visit.

Rob
Old 07-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #10

Hi Jeffrey

Just be grateful it wasn't in Needles.
http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=8692#p8692
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote