Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2009, 12:37 AM   #1

no water getting to outdoor shower or Water Heater

I am still getting familiar with my new (to me) sportsmobile. I was trying to flush out my water system this evening, but I was unable to get any water to my shower, or to my water heater (propane). The outdoor shower is in the back of the van behind the propane water heater. When I was running the pump and hooked to city water I could hear some air coming out of the shower when I turned it on, and when I opened the pressure valve on the water heater air came out. I am thinking I must be missing something - a closed valve somewhere or something, but can't figure it out.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Old 04-18-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
AEJ

Re: no water getting to outdoor shower or Water Heater

First, if I understand your post, you shouldn't have the water pump on if you are connected to city water. I don't know if this hurts anything but I doubt it is the correct situation.

The hot water heater has a pair of valves that are turned off to winterize and must be turned back on to put the hot water heater back on line. They are to bypass the heater so anti freeze is not used in it. I don't think they should affect the rear shower though.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #3

Is the valve closed on the water tank? This is the valve on the water line leading to the water storage tank. Normally, the valve is closed. When you want water, this valve is kept closed and the pump turned on. When you hook to city water, the pump is turned off and this valve opened to allow city water to fill the water tank. If the valve is opened when the pump is on, the pump will run continuously. If the valve isn't opened when you are hooked to city water, the tank won't refill. I'd check and make sure the valve is in the correct position for what you are trying to do...
Old 04-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #4

Sorry for not being more specific. I have tried it with both the tank and the water pump, and while hooked to city water, not both at the same time. I can use the cold water without issue at the sink, but no shower, no hot water.

I was assuming that when hooked to city water I would be able to use the the cold portion of the shower on the city water pressure. There was some water that came out of the shower (a couple of drops) and it was whitish and smelled minty (maybe something left from winterization).
Old 04-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #5

I don't think there is anything wrong with having the pump on while city water is on. The pump shuts itself off at a certain line pressure, so will just shut itself off due to the pressure of the city water line. I'm pretty sure I've done this. You can also pre-pressurize the system with city water if you're careful, I don't have the pressure at this house but when SMB filled my tanks I used the sink several times without ever turning on the pump.

pr, there are two brass bypass valves on the hot water heater they should both be in the same position (opened or closed, meaning in this case "open to the heater tank" "closed to the heater tank". I don't think water would flow if one was open and the other closed. There is a tube connecting them across the heater for when they are closed to the tank, although this system (I don't think) has anything to do with the shower cold side.

On the shower... with water pump on or city water pressure, turn knobs to on (H, C or both) and depress the button on the wand. You should at least hear air and get spurting water shortly thereafter. I don't recall any way to shut the cold off specifically before the shower knob itself.

If none of that works I'd turn the pressure off (open the sink after) and pull the rod from the water heater http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...3&hilit=annode You should get a few gallons if it was filled, and then with the rod out turn the city water back on and see if water flows out. You can also inspect your rod at this time.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

What Jage Said.

...and I am not sure if it is standard, but we have a bunch of valves to be able to empty (drain) and shut off different portions of the water system. I wonder if you might have the same and one is in the closed position for the shower?
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #7

Well I think that I have figured it out. There was an ungodly amount if sediment in the hot water tank. So the sediment has actually cogged everything. I've drained it, have washed out the tank and have begun cleaning out every valve and the shower assembly.

has anyone ever used a vinegar solution to break up hard water deposits on their water system before?. I think that's what I'll be doing as long as noone tells me otherwise.

also strangely enough, there was no anode. just a cap on the tank. I'm replacing it with an anode with a drain valve.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #8

Don't forget to replace your sacrificial anode and check it once a year.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/pr ... aters/2470

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #9

So I've figured out the problem. After finally getting the outdoor shower to work, I determined that the blockage was in the last 12" (8 inches from the t below the cold water and 8 from the elbow to the hot water heater. I cut the pipe and found it full from one end to the other with sediments from the hot water heater. Nasty stuff... In any case, I had to redo the plumbing from the T to the water heater. I've got everything working again, although after our trip this weekend to break everything in I'm going to have the local RV shop take a serious look at this thing. It also looks like I may have a leak from my gray water tank. I'll leave that one to the pros.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
Site Team

Be thankful you have a leak from the gray water tank and not the black water tank.

Herb