Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2008, 09:10 PM   #11

Hi,

Hey, Joanna, here is one metal water tank link:

http://www.tomraperrvparts.com/parts/pr ... 280&page=1

It is not cheep, but close enough to a klean Kanteen!

Zugg

Old 06-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #12

Hmmm, too bad they're round.
Lots of wasted space. Also only 11 gallons. Would two be too heavy? could you hook them together somehow?
Old 06-13-2008, 06:02 AM   #13

From what I have read and heard from talking to water quality experts, BPA does not normally leach out of plastic bottles into the water within. The concern with plastic baby bottles is that they are frequently micro-waved or boiled to heat up their contents, actions that may cause leaching of BPA.

Other actions that may cause BPA leaching are running a water bottle through a dishwasher's wash and dry cycle, or carrying extremely acidic beverages (like lemon juice) in the plastic container.

None of these things can (or should) be done to an SMB plastic water tank, so the chance of leaching (if the plastic contains BPA at all) is close to nil. I have used Nalgene water bottles for twenty five years and never exposed them to an action that might cause leaching. My biggest worry has always been about them freezing while mountain climbing and having no liquid water in the morning.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #14

Even though we aren't concerned with BPA or other things that might be in the fresh water tank, we rarely drink the water from our fresh water tank anyway...it is used to wash dishes and ourselves, wet the toothbrush, for making pasta, etc. Since we like our water nice and cold, we keep drinking water in the refrigerator. You might think about that as a solution...refilling containers just for drinking from sources you trust and using the water in the regular SMB water tank for other purposes.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:48 AM   #15

Zugg, I have a guy here in Santa Barbara that will custom make any tank you like in stainless steel but it's big $$$$. We had a custom 9 gallon tank made for a VW camper and it was 850.00. The nice thing is that the size will be exactly what you want.
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #16

Garage
Are you folks actually drinking tap water, or filling your large tanks with bottled or RO water? If plastic tanks leached deadly toxins, we'd all be dead by now.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Montana
BPA does not normally leach out of plastic bottles into the water within. The concern with plastic baby bottles is that they are frequently micro-waved or boiled to heat up their contents, actions that may cause leaching of BPA.
See, the key word here is "may" I've never seen anything substantial that proves that microwaving a baby bottle even 1,000 times or more actually does anything harmful.

My father has used cheap margarine containers every weekday for the last 20 years to reheat his lunch. Some of them are 10 years old and still in use- they only get retired if the plastic actually melts in the microwave, and even then he'll eat the food before throwing away the container. These are cheap plastics never meant to be used in the microwave.

I have friends who won't eat soy due to spurious evidence and rumors that it causes hormone imbalance, despite my and my wife's lifestyle which consists of soy milk exclusively, tofu several times a week and used to contain more soy in other forms before the gluten allergy.

I'm sorry but I just see this as another Internet rumor- I'm tempted to delete this thread as I don't see it as providing useful information (e.g. actual research or hard facts)
Old 06-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #18

Good points jage. There are other, greater worries about the plastic SMB freshwater tanks than hypothetical BPH leaching.

Bacterial growth and algal growth in the plastic tanks can give water drinkers intestinal problems some of which could be serious. Sterilization of the tanks every so often (with alcohol or some other agent) is much more important than worrying about possible plastic leaching.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #19

Hi,

Thanks Jammyauto.
I may contact you on your suggestion.
There are no complaints when it comes to custom applications.

Zugg

Old 06-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #20

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Polyethylene under normal use appears safe as far as we know. Plastic has been in the news lately and I wrote about what we do here.

This subject is like air pressure it seems - lots of opinions.

I see fiberglass tanks are also available. Maybe they would work better than steel or aluminum.

Although we cook and wash with stored water we don't normally drink it. Reheating in microwave (haven't done much of that camping) but normally we use glass bowls. Probably the popcorn I pop is more unhealthy than heating in plastic.

Another advantage of being an elder statesman!

Regards,

Keith[/code]