Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #51

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Re: Now, a Word About Sportsmobile -The Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger
Gusting wind or jostling won't set off the interior alarm BTW. Motion is what does it. The sensors in question are (now) hidden within the roof/ceiling of the van. I don't think even SMB would have covered over IR sensors for detecting interior motion, so I believe they are inertial sensors, but that is just my speculation.

As we have grown accustomed to, the only response we have received to our calls and email to SMB has been...silence. Not normal, (at least my experience with SMB West). We are dealing with SMB Texas.

Do you have photos of where the alarm was compromised? Even if SMB did cut into the hot line of the alarm system it would be easily remeded and I don't see how it could cause false alarms. Also the SMB electrical for the most part should be isolated from the Sprinter's electrical. Many of us learned not to trust Dodge when it became apparent we knew much more about the Sprinter than they did.

Regards,
Keith
No, the damage is inside the ceiling; Dodge is still tracing down the exact location. Sorry if I was unclear, but this isn't a problem with the "house battery" DC system. This is a problem with the engine battery occasionally going stone dead when the van is parked for 5-7 days.
If the alarm is covered that would definitely be wrong. The interior alarm is motion activated. "The system is automatically armed when the central locking system is activated. The alarm is triggered if an attempt is made to open a door, unlock a door from the inside, open the hood, raise the vehicle at the front or rear, if movement is detected inside the vehicle, or if the central locking system is unlocked using the key at a door other than the driver’s door. The alarm is armed approximately 30 seconds after the vehicle has been locked using the radio remote control or using the key at the driver’s door. To confirm arming, the direction indicators flash three times, and the indicator light in the switch also flashes. To prevent false alarms, the interior monitoring system should be deactivated if people or animals are to be left inside the locked vehicle. Tow-away protection is provided by an inclination sensor integrated in the ATA control unit. The self-powered siren is not accessible from outside the vehicle and is independent of the vehicle electrical system. Therefore, it also sounds if the battery power is interrupted. The alarm is disarmed when the central locking system is unlocked from outside, either at the driver’s door or using the remote control."

Yes, I knew you were talking about the Sprinter battery. The easy way to check if it is on the Dodge side or the SMB side is look at the connections under the driver's seat. There is a connection there specifically for upbuilders to attach to - see if anything is attached - most likelyit could be a connection to the Propane alarm or CO2 alarm. Anyway if something is connected there remove the connection. That should leave only the Mercedes connections.

Oh my! We are talking about a Sprinter, right?

Also you might consider talking it to a Mercedes Sprinter Dealer who would be way ahead of Dodge.

Regards,
Keith

Old 02-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger
Yes, I knew you were talking about the Sprinter battery. The easy way to check if it is on the Dodge side or the SMB side is look at the connections under the driver's seat. There is a connection there specifically for upbuilders to attach to - see if anything is attached - most likelyit could be a connection to the Propane alarm or CO2 alarm. Anyway if something is connected there remove the connection. That should leave only the Mercedes connections.

Oh my! We are talking about a Sprinter, right?

I don't suspect the drain to be anything that SMB added to the vehicle battery side of the system. I didn't suspect SMB to be directly involved at all until the dealer diagnosed the problem with the security system.

Also you might consider talking it to a Mercedes Sprinter Dealer who would be way ahead of Dodge.
No such animal in our area. Amongst Dodge, Freightliner, and Mercedes, Dodge is the only entity around here that hasn't replied: "What's a Sprinter?"
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #53

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

Your NEW Mercedes Sprinter dealer is Tampa Bay Mercedes Benz. Might be worth the drive.

Regards,

Keith