Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #21
Site Team

Re: Opinions needed quick please

I'm a real believer in going with one's intuition or feelings, but I'm surprised at your decision given the number of positive comments made about this vehicle on this Forum. However, if you are not mechanically inclined, like I am not, I would be hesitant about buying an older van. It also depends on your personal budget. If you don't have a lot of money and you want an SMB, this is a hard deal to pass up. But if you have the money, you could be able to get a newer SMB and not have to worry about buying an older van. I do have to say, though, that this is probably the cleanest older SMB I have seen on this website. The fact that I paid almost $7500 just to add bumpers and lights to my SMB also tells you how good of a deal this was.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
I'm a real believer in going with one's intuition or feelings, but I'm surprised at your decision given the number of positive comments made about this vehicle on this Forum. However, if you are not mechanically inclined, like I am not, I would be hesitant about buying an older van. It also depends on your personal budget. If you don't have a lot of money and you want an SMB, this is a hard deal to pass up. But if you have the money, you could be able to get a newer SMB and not have to worry about buying an older van. I do have to say, though, that this is probably the cleanest older SMB I have seen on this website. The fact that I paid almost $7500 just to add bumpers and lights to my SMB also tells you how good of a deal this was.
I agree with Mac but also look at it this way. Vehicles that sit for long periods can have engine problems pop up because they’re rarely started, so hopefully it was driven monthly at least. Vehicles that are used daily might have a host of minor problems with stuff like windows, door locks, wipers and that kind of stuff that gets heavy usage. You might get nickel and dimed to death. Long haul type vehicles (those who are only driven on long trips) might have drive train wear. So I guess you have to figure out how they used the vehicle. If you’re worried about the engine you can ask to take it to a shop to be looked at and get an oil sample to send to a lab. I doubt the owner will object unless somebody else wants it or something is wrong with it. I understand you’re 4 hours away and don’t know where to take it to be looked at. You also have to figure out what an engine rebuild would cost and compare to what is out there for sale. The fact is anybody can end up with a lemon, even a newer vehicle with less mileage. The last time I had an engine rebuilt it was about 4000 bucks. That isn’t terrible, but if you plan to make major changes to the van or if it’s not quite what you really want, it might not be for you. I’ll bet there are several members now looking it over though.

Good luck.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #23

Actually, to be honest, the wife made the decision for me. We were looking at motor homes when I ran across this van. Like I stated previously I had never heard of Sportsmobile. I am mechanically inclined and always fixed my own vehicles when I was young. The van is all I need, it will tow the smoker and provide a place to lay my head down in between stoking the fire. However, and this is a big HOWEVER, my wife has stated that she will not utilize a Porta-Potty. The first time some little part gave us a problem and delayed our trip I would hear an "I told you so" . So here I am in a predicament. The motor home she wants is $50K but it is a good deal and only 25' long and 7-1/2' wide and gets 16 to 18 mpg. A new wife will cost me at least $300K.

So therefor the van is up for grabs, but if I was single...............
AfterglowBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #24
Site Team

Now, that is a wise decision if I've ever heard one. Your personal stock just went up ten fold at home. And, truth be told, there are probably a lot of wives of would-be SMB owners who don't like the porta-potty idea. A SMB is definitely not for an RV wife. Good choice to let this one pass.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterglowBBQ
The motor home she wants is $50K but it is a good deal and only 25' long and 7-1/2' wide and gets 16 to 18 mpg.
They make Sportsmobiles with fixed bathrooms a la an RV, black water tank and all. Little harder to find, but if you're keen on the van size... also consider Sprinters if you are gas mileage conscious.

Good luck, let us know whatever you buy!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterglowBBQ
Actually, to be honest, the wife made the decision for me. We were looking at motor homes when I ran across this van.
So therefor the van is up for grabs, but if I was single...............
Yep, you both have to be happy. Like Jage said, they do have fixed heads but are hard to find as used vehicles. I myself am larger than life at 300 lbs and a walkthrough type layout would never work for me as well as a small compact bathroom. You need to find something that fits the needs of you and your family.

Good luck on your quest.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote