Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #11

Re: Our Ford Transit build is underway at SMB North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkoskey
And rallypanam asked what's the clear hose behind the driver's seat if not for a sink - yes, there is a corner sink in the bathroom. We thought the corner would be a little closer to the driver's seat, but I guess we'll see how it all comes out.
Ah, bathroom sink but no kitchen sink. Makes sense now.

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #12

Just got some new photos from SMB North on our Ford Transit - see my gallery. They report that it's almost done - unfortunately, we can't get over there for a couple of weeks for pickup. Some things haven't worked out like I hoped - the back windows seem too high on the wall (bad for travel viewing, great for privacy while sleeping). The galley combo of fridge and microwave is way taller than I anticipated, so not much of a view out the big Transit window. Overall, though - pretty excited to have it almost completed.
jmkoskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #13

Thanks for the pics! Looks great.

Do you know how many bids they've done on a Transit so far?
yelnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnam
Thanks for the pics! Looks great.

Do you know how many bids they've done on a Transit so far?
At the Indiana facility, we are the second Transit they've worked on. Just like ours - the other one was also a mid-roof, 130" wheel base (short body). The other one had no shower - I think it was a porta-potti and it had a wood interior.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkoskey
The galley combo of fridge and microwave is way taller than I anticipated, so not much of a view out the big Transit window.
SMB North told us the reason the reason the galley ended up so tall was because of the vents they had to add for the enclosed microwave: 4" at the bottom and 3" at the top! That added an extra 7" and totally blocked the window. We went back to the drawing board and went with the "not enclosed" microwave that we will just set on top of the counter when we are camping - don't need all that extra venting layers and can see out the window again. Even SMB North said the original design looked terrible in the van!
Old 07-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #16

A few more photos from SMB North as they finish up our Ford Transit conversion. Today's updates include the revised galley, the bathroom door and the couch.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #17

Our Ford Transit is almost done at SMB North. They sent us a photo of the driver's side so we could see the windows. They look pretty nice - a little smaller and higher up than we were envisioning, but this is not a Sprinter after all! We were also interested to note all the outlets and hookups on this side. Since we're RV newbies - can someone tell us what the one by the rear tire is for?
Old 07-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #18

Exterior fresh water fill.
JJSporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSporty
Exterior fresh water fill.
Thanks for the verification. Is there any way to secure this from potential sabotage? We've seen the Road treks and other high end models now putting the water fill inside the door, where it can't be accessed.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #20

I think I might have seen your Transit at Sportsmobile Huntington today 7-22. It seems to match your above description and photos.

Wife and I drove from Illinois about 180 miles one way to have some questions answered and to see examples of transits. We have a 2015 Sterling grey Transit mid roof, long length. Just got back home -- long day! We took a peek in the interior of yours and it looks professionally done. I think you will be happy.
rjpncp is offline   Reply With Quote