Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #1

Garage
Out of State purchase question - tags?

Tried searching and I wasn't finding much. Looking to purchase a van out of state and drive it back home. Whats the scoop w/ tags while I'm driving back home? Once home I'll register it and get the new tags but how do I get there? Do many folks have luck running the previous owner's plates for the day or 2 drive home and then mail them back? I'll have my insurance on the van of course

Thanks a Ton

Old 06-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #2

Re: Out of State purchase question - tags?

I went through this, really hard to find info on it! Either buy a temp tag in your own state, or the purchase state, reciprocity says they should be (probably) ok for the trip. Proof of insurance handy.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #3

As far as I know, there are really only two legal ways to do it:

1. Get a temporary, non-resident "transit tag" from the state in which you are buying the van.
2. Get a new tag from your state and take it with you when you go to pick it up.

I'm from Pennsylvania and bought my van in North Carolina. I ended up getting my tag from my state, but that was only possible because I sent the seller a check ahead of time and he FedEx'd me the title ahead of time. For most people, that really won't be an option (my van wasn't a very high-dollar purchase compared with many SMBs, and I felt comfortable enough with the seller to send a check ahead of time).

Some states allow an existing tag on a vehicle to be transferred to a new owner, so you could possibly do that, but then you are paying registration fees in that state for a year (and there may be residency requirements, too). The transit tag is the best, cheapest, and easiest option.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #4

I bought my van out of state in OR. I just went to the DMV and got a temporary out of state tag. Took about 5 minutes..
Old 06-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #5

no sales tax in Oregon........What a Country!! What a State !!$40 a yr auto registration ............. God Bless this country...Later
1bajaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #6

I bought my SMB in Idaho and drove it home to Oregon. I made sure I was insured, both seller and I had copies of the signed bill of sale, I had the title, and I drove home with the previous owner's plates and tags. Back in Oregon, I tried to register it without driving it to the DMV. They told me that they had to see the vehicle since it was an out of state vehicle. I brought it in, and all was smooth.

FWIW, the way I see it, if the previous owner has current tags, those tags are good until their expiration date. That should be enough to get you home. In the unlikely event of a problem on the way home, the title and bill of sale establish your ownership. That said, I've never had a problem (ticket , accident) between buying and registering a vehicle, so maybe it could be more difficult than I am thinking if something bad happened.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #7

I would never let a buyer use my tags to transport a vehicle after they bought it. Those tags tie the vehicle to you, along with liability for tickets, fines, etc. (based on license plate reading, obviously) will be your responsibility as the seller. Maybe I lack basic trust, but I would make certain the registration is transferred and there are new tags before I let the vehicle out of my sight.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:47 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I would never let a buyer use my tags to transport a vehicle after they bought it. Those tags tie the vehicle to you, along with liability for tickets, fines, etc. (based on license plate reading, obviously) will be your responsibility as the seller. Maybe I lack basic trust, but I would make certain the registration is transferred and there are new tags before I let the vehicle out of my sight.
Agree with the intent, but states do operate differently. Here in CA they do not assign new tags with a change in ownership, but you must get the sellers signature on the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability form, that the seller then sends in. Without that signed form, the seller could be responsible for all sorts of things.

Herb
Old 06-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Agree with the intent, but states do operate differently. Here in CA they do not assign new tags with a change in ownership, but you must get the sellers signature on the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability form, that the seller then sends in. Without that signed form, the seller could be responsible for all sorts of things.

Herb
Good point, and I agree. Alaska and other states do it the same way. The point is not the plate per se, but rather having "official" paperwork that shows that you have transferred that plate, registration, etc., to a new owner.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #10

Yeah, in CA, the Liability form is the most important form for the seller. If the buyer ends up getting parking tickets or speed trap tickets, etc., that form proves that you sold the vehicle prior to the incidents. I've never once got a temp tag to drive home although I have yet to buy a vehicle from out of state.

Do other states not have that form attached to the title?