Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2010, 11:31 PM   #11

Re: Penthouse on 15 passenger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnacktimeKC
carringb, is this yours? That looks real slick however it doesn't look like the the offerings on the Sportsmobile website http://sportsmobile.com/1_penthouse-top.html ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Hey daveb, thanks for the advice but I'll be buying a used van. I race motorcycles as a hobby and I'm wanting to have a place to sleep while the bikes are still in the van if need be.

I was quoted about $5500.00 over the phone from the place in Texas, does this seem accurate? (now that I think about it I did not specify it was a 15 passenger) -Snack

I can't get away from you John... ha. good to see you on here. Im looking for the same info since I just bought a 4x4 chevy express extended van... I will keep you informed on what I do to mine. btw, been looking at just putting a van Hi top on and then raising it like the one you posted on. I think it would be cheaper than $5500 and you could pry find one easier in a junk yard on a conversion van...

racrx451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
If you're on a budget, don't mind salvage title and 2wd, check this out:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2016929880.html
Not sure if it is still for sale or not, and no relation to the seller. I just see it every time I search. Looks like just what you're looking for!
Damn, that's pretty close to what I'm looking for thanks for the link. I'm kind of thinking I want a V10 and just a big open space versus the built in couch but that thing is nice.

racerx451- You're like a bad penny! Let's keep each other in the loop on what we find. -Deuser
SnacktimeKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #13
Site Team

See this thread

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5826

Herb
Old 12-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #14

Some of the new screen/window treatments available make a window van more viable.
Color matched tint, or blacked out and able make your choice of windows to see thru,
vs cutting in windows.

I am building my EB van to fit a motorcycle also. Four captains and room behind for a m/c.
I could fit two m/c's but I am only designing for one.
Fold up bed.
Four passenger, sleeps four (w/penthouse) and a convertible changeable configuration.
The design is done and in the process of being built now.
Pics will be posted upon completion.

I also want an 'open' van. Free of the space sucking of a completely outfitted van.

There is more than one way to skin a cat...
Old 12-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnacktimeKC
Hey all,
I'm thinking of buying a 15 passenger Ford and was wondering if you can put a Penthouse Top on one. Only reason I ask is I haven't seen any pictures of one. Thanks in advance, Snack
Truly and sincerely, and I do not mean this to be unkind, how much did you look? The galleries are full of them. Here are 35 examples of what you are looking for, each from a different person's gallery. Some of them look alike, but if you note the album numbers, each is a different van. I am sure I didn't get them all. If I gave links to every picture there is of a 15 passenger Ford with penthouse tops, there would be many hundreds, perhaps over a thousand:

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

I knew I had this somewhere in my photo album. Hope this helps.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #17

TomH, not a one of those vans are 15 passenger window vans.

They are window-less cargo vans with widows cut in them (with possible rear doors windows or slider or swing side doors windows ordered in the cargo from the factory).

Cargo vans do not come with seating for 15.

Check surfgeeks pic above for a true factory 15 passenger window van. Lots of windows!

But thanks for putting my EB cargo in there.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #18

O.K., that makes complete sense. My interpretation was that he simply meant an extended van in contrast to a regular bed. I think if he had simply said "passenger" van, I would have distinguished that against cargo vans. As it was, the "15" instantly made me concentrate on "EB" in contrast with "RB". I wouldn't have even thought about the difference between the cargo and passenger versions entering the equation as to whether the PH could go on top. The "15" just equated to "EB".

You are totally correct, none of those 35 "extended" vans started life as a "passenger" van. And that completely explains why Snack would say that he had not seen one example of what he was looking for. My bad!
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #19

my van started as a 15 passenger. Bought it used in Phoenix with 30k miles. i did ask SMB texas and indy about the PH on the passenger van. they were not interested in dealing with moving the rear AC vents. SMB fresno, however, was open to doing it. I made an appointment with them; arrived at 8 AM, waited 8 hours and it was finished by end of the day....drove it home. Other than the cost, it was a very positive experience.....i took the van to them totally empty. i'd post a pic, but i forgot how to do it.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrivan
i'd post a pic, but i forgot how to do it.

There ya go.

Brent