Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 06:33 AM   #11

Re: Penthouse roof supports

[quote="REF"]These are what I had on my old SMB top too, I copied these photos from the link above. While they worked pretty well and certainly added to piece of mind when sleeping under the pop top, be aware that they are just screwed into the thin board ceiling liner, our screws ripped out several times and I had to either move the mounting bracket over and put new holes or I put in anchors where I could. I saw where someone had reinforced the corners with a heavier piece of wood for a better mounting plate.

Ok thanks. I hoped to get a better idea but this is just what i did built in mine (and a lot of others). I took a pice of wood under the screw for a better fixation of the bracket
I took 2 brackets from old motorcycle footrest (passenger) and weld a pipe on the pice what goes normaly in and is the rest for the foot.....I am a biker, so it was the first thing i had in mind to do the job

schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:18 AM   #12

How about using a motorcycle tie down between the crossbars? e.g. the tie down hooks would be hooked to each crossbar next to the lifting blocks and run lengthwise along the headliner?

I haven't tried this yet, but it seems simple and strong......if I can remember, I'll try this when I get home and post a picture.

If you are really worried, you could use two tie downs, one on each side of the lifting blocks on the roof.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:27 AM   #13

We used 3/4" electrical conduit covered w black Gorilla Duct Tape with plastic caps on the end. We store them right on the penthouse shelf next to ware each will be used. A block of wood with a recess screwed to the ceiling and block at the base also with a recess. Have on for each of the four corners.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
How about using a motorcycle tie down between the crossbars?
Here is the concept.....I have installed headliner material and it was a tight squeeze to get the tie down hooks as shown, the smooth ceiling may be easier.

2003 Honda Element
Old 06-17-2015, 06:42 AM   #15

The only drawback would be with snow loading. All the weight of the snow would still be taken by the scissor mechanism. With the corner roof supports the snow loading would be shared by all the roof supports.

The Green TARDIS
Old 06-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
The only drawback would be with snow loading. All the weight of the snow would still be taken by the scissor mechanism. With the corner roof supports the snow loading would be shared by all the roof supports.

With no extra support stuff, the roof weight/snow loading is supported by the springs (for a manual top anyway). The tie downs take the springs out of the load path. Assuming the electric top actuators are not back-driveable, they will also help keep the top up.

Rob, is your top manual?
2003 Honda Element
Old 06-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #17

With no extra support stuff, the roof weight/snow loading is supported by the springs (for a manual top anyway). The tie downs take the springs out of the load path. Assuming the electric top actuators are not back-driveable, they will also help keep the top up.

Rob, is your top manual?[/quote]

I would be concerned w snow load potentially bending the scissors if all the snow load was taken by them. The scissor mechanism that you reinforced in your van w tubing within tubing would be very robust though. The tie downs do take the springs out of the load path but the scissor tubing is still in the load path and would be required to take 100% of the roof load.

The Green TARDIS
Old 06-17-2015, 09:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
The tie downs do take the springs out of the load path but the scissor tubing is still in the load path and would be required to take 100% of the roof load.

Yup, and there are plenty of cases of bent crossbars around....the corner supports mitigate the possibility of bent crossbars.
2003 Honda Element
Old 06-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

That is my main worry as compared to the top collapsing down... bent chrome moly bars. I was surprised how much weight was actually put on those supports in snowy conditions. It always makes me feel better with those supports in place. I mean could you imagine if you were by yourself up top and the thing came down on you? Talk about ring your bell if not worse, trapping you.

I've never looked how the power mechanism works. I'm guessing the motors pulls and pushes the bars together/apart along the rail to move the top or am I wrong? If it only moves one bar, that pivot bolt is holding a lot of pressure and if it broke wouldn't one side try to stay up???

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb

I've never looked how the power mechanism works. I'm guessing the motors pulls and pushes the bars together/apart along the rail to move the top or am I wrong? If it only moves one bar, that pivot bolt is holding a lot of pressure and if it broke wouldn't one side try to stay up???
I haven't checked the motors out too closely either, although I may help out Nick adjust his springs so will hopefully snap a few pics. I'm sure there are motor actuators on both sides. I would guess that they are worm driven lead screws but that's a guess.
2003 Honda Element