Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #1

Penthouse surprise-dangers of buying used.

I was out trying to adjust the tension on my penthouse springs this morning. I raised and braced the roof and started taking off the felt covering the spring mechanism. Strange. What is all this tobacco type product in the channel? Hmmmm......

All the other channels are clear but one is filled with....pipe tobacco?....oregano.....?

What a great way to end up in jail for possession. "Really, I didn't know it was there...." And I recently took the van down to the Texas/Mexico border. On the way, you have to go through a checkpoint. Dogs were present.

I'm going to call the police after church and get them to "clear" the van with a drug dog (if they will do that). But I wanted to go "on the record," time stamp and all, so I can have some sort of defense if they find a few kilos of heroin in the gas tank....

My other car is a sportscar I bought used from a college kid. Maybe I'll get that checked too.

Tom

bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #2

Re: Penthouse surprise-dangers of buying used.

Yeah just make it real clear you are the NEW owner and found something strange.
When we bought our house 15 yrs ago I was tearing apart a wall in the utility room and found some guns stashed back there...way to rusted to be worth saving, but I called the cops and had the numbers run.

All was well but I didn't feel comfy till I knew there were some bodies buried in the backyard
Old 09-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #3

Ours was a 1974 Crystler New Yorker... it was a metallic orange with a white top and white interior. Pimpin would not be an inaccurate description.... anyway there I am an innocent lad of 13 or 14 sitting in the back seat and an Alice in Wonderland tin slides out on the floor. I pop it open and sure enough there is a slightly rusty razorblade, round mirror and plenty of white residue to send anyone to jail.

I remember it taking me several minutes to figure out why anyone would keep a razorblade and mirror in a metal tin. After that, I always wondered if there was any baggage in behind the door panels or trunk liner.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #4

Flip side is find something sell it and you have a free vehicle!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Site Team

OK, and now try driving onto a military base everyday for work, and you begin to understand my concern about buying used vehicles.

Herb
Old 09-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #6

I bought a 69 Fiat spider from a druggy when I was in HS. He told me that he lost a qualude in the defroster vent. I went away for a few weeks and when I returned sombody neatly disasembled whole dash to get it. I was just glad they didn't rip it to shreds.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #7

If I'm not mistaken I think their is 3 to 5 billion dollars in cash (usually 100 dollar bills) a year smuggled into Mexico every year, usually in cars and truck from Ca, Arz, and Tx. You may want to rethink this, maybe that tank has 100K in it,You didnt hear it from me!!!

Dave
unimogdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #8

I had our guy run his drug dog around my van, just in case. Of course, the deputies thought they'd have some fun with me and planted a bag of weed (used for training the dog) above the propane tank. We all had a good laugh, then I tazed them.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #9

Oh noes!!! The devil weed is out to get you!!! Is this thread serious? Just get a shop vac and vacuum it out. There is more danger hiding in your medicine cabinet.
bburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburrito
Oh noes!!! The devil weed is out to get you!!! Is this thread serious? Just get a shop vac and vacuum it out. There is more danger hiding in your medicine cabinet.
Yeah, but chances are what's in your medicine cabinet won't get you thrown in jail, especially if south of the border. Even vacumming it out will likely leave enough traces behind for a drug sniffing dog to find.

Herb