Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #1

Penthouse top cracking?

Anyone have trouble with their top cracking? The paint/gelcoat on mine has many large cracks and is starting to leak. I haven't called Sportsmobile yet but is this a warrantied things? Seems pretty unusual to me, like I got a bad top or something.

bendbile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Re: Penthouse top cracking?

The PH has a lifetime warranty if you are the original owner. Good luck.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:50 PM   #3

Mine too, I am going the Line-X route. It's in the shop now. I am going to mount a new roofrack on the top & wanted a good waterproof base to work off of.

Goodluck Woot................
WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:31 PM   #4

My penthouse gel coat started cracking within the first year and now has many cracks going every which way. Last June I was at Sportsmobile to discuss my metal roof cracking repair which was welded up at a later date under warranty. I mentioned my concern with the PH cracking but there was no offer for any type of warranty repair. I did get verbal estimate for a Line-X type coating of around $700 if I remember correctly. SMB doesn't do the work they farm it out. I still plan on doing that and found a local place to do it cheaper but then they weren't able to color match the Baja Tan. There is one other place in San Diego yet for me to check. I carry kayaks and do a lot of walking up there; paint and clearcoat just was not an appropriate coating for me.
Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote