Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #11

Re: Penthouse Top Rattle Over Bumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
If you've made sure the noise is not from another source other than where the tubes are I'd ask them to pull those covers and also ask if the tubes are hollow. I wonder if something is inside the tube or if something is vibrating against it?
It's the tube "slapping" within the pad box. We were advised to raise the top slightly after latching, but that creates other issues. It was never a problem with our manual lift PH top as there was spring tension holding the U-tubes against the top - not so with power assist PH top.

On pickup I asked if some sort of padding could be added to the space, but I was told this was not possible because of the way the system operates. It doesn't make sense to me, and I am hoping someone else may have experienced the same problems we have, and may have engineered a good fix. Thanks for your help.

agprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

I get a squeaking from some spots where vinyl meets metal or the worst spot, my counter top. I just use petroleum jelly or wax to get rid of the squeaking. I'm trying to figure out how contact would make a rattling sound but I might understand a vibration noise. Maybe you can record a youtube video of the sound.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:29 PM   #13

I had that squeak that daveb describes. I cut a small patch of soft plastic out of the lid from a can of nuts and jammed it between the counter top and the vinyl side panel.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:12 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
I had that squeak that daveb describes. I cut a small patch of soft plastic out of the lid from a can of nuts and jammed it between the counter top and the vinyl side panel.
Thanks, I'll jam that in there. The wax works for a while then it starts squeaking again. Drives me nutz

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
My penthouse latch handles rattled incessantly against the hooks, I wrapped all three hooks with the appropriately sized vinyl tubing. No problem since.

Describe the rattle. It seems to me that the U- frame would make more of a muffled rattle whereas the latch handles make a piercing, high-pitched rattle.

Z

Another option to this same problem is to use heat shrink tubing. Just get the right size and slip it over the j-hook and hit it with the heat gun. Stops the rattle and possibly a little cleaner than the tubing fix. If it wears through, just put another layer on.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
Thanks, I'll jam that in there. The wax works for a while then it starts squeaking again. Drives me nutz
I've used little round felt pads. Like you would put on the feet of your furniture to keep it from scratching the floor. My window squeaked and that fixed it.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by agprint
Quote:
If you've made sure the noise is not from another source other than where the tubes are I'd ask them to pull those covers and also ask if the tubes are hollow. I wonder if something is inside the tube or if something is vibrating against it?
It's the tube "slapping" within the pad box. We were advised to raise the top slightly after latching, but that creates other issues. It was never a problem with our manual lift PH top as there was spring tension holding the U-tubes against the top - not so with power assist PH top.

On pickup I asked if some sort of padding could be added to the space, but I was told this was not possible because of the way the system operates. It doesn't make sense to me, and I am hoping someone else may have experienced the same problems we have, and may have engineered a good fix. Thanks for your help.
Not sure if you have identified what pad, rear or front. I have included a picture that was done from memory, so it might be 100% correct. I believe the rear pad holds the sliding bar, the front remains stationary in the pad. I was thinking if the rear pad was installed backwards, the plywood that goes against the roof could possibly be flapping and causing your noise. That plywood is not all that thick and somewhat flexible because you need to pull it apart to get it over the tube when installing.

It was just a thought, I am not even sure if you can install it backwards. You could probably try putting a wedge in there when down and see if the sounds goes away. I don't remember there being a lot of room for tube to slapping up or down.

What are the other issues when you push the top up slightly?

hope this helps

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77

Not sure if you have identified what pad, rear or front. I have included a picture that was done from memory, so it might be 100% correct. I believe the rear pad holds the sliding bar, the front remains stationary in the pad. I was thinking if the rear pad was installed backwards, the plywood that goes against the roof could possibly be flapping and causing your noise. That plywood is not all that thick and somewhat flexible because you need to pull it apart to get it over the tube when installing.

It was just a thought, I am not even sure if you can install it backwards. You could probably try putting a wedge in there when down and see if the sounds goes away. I don't remember there being a lot of room for tube to slapping up or down.

What are the other issues when you push the top up slightly?

hope this helps

greg
Greg - wow, what beautifully executed drawings! I am impressed, and greatly appreciate your efforts to help me out.

The noise is from the front pad. That pad has the U-tube "locked" in place in a box. I think the interior height of the box may be "generous" allowing for the U-tube to slap back and fort when going over even slight bumps in the road. I have not yet had the vehicle on a washboard dirt road, but I can tell you it would be a noisy adventure as in it's current condition.

While raising the power roof slightly to "force" the bar into contact with the plywood ceiling, this causes a new "collection" of noises from the PH top "squirming" on the roof of the van to some popping noises elsewhere in the front area above the mounting hooks.

I have driven more than 250,000 miles in 4x4 SMB's with PH tops - going back to my first unit in 1992, both with manual lift tops. There have been plenty of noises, rattles, clunks, creaks, pops, etc. - but nothing like the new power assist top on a smoother riding 2wd (not yet converted to 4x4) van. Again, my sincere thanks to you, and others, who have been so generous sharing time and expertise.
agprint is offline   Reply With Quote