Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #1

Photo needed of rear PH bed cable hanger

I'm updating my older-style Penthouse bed hangers to the newer cable style (mine are web straps with hooks at the end). I've switched the two front ones over, but am not sure how/where the rear (single) cable attaches to the roof. If someone has a moment to shoot and post a pic of this on your newer SMB, I'd appreciate it.

To be clear, I'm talking about the hangers that attach a full-length PH bed to the roof, up and out of the way, when it's not being used.

Thanks!

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I'm updating my older-style Penthouse bed hangers to the newer cable style (mine are web straps with hooks at the end). I've switched the two front ones over, but am not sure how/where the rear (single) cable attaches to the roof. If someone has a moment to shoot and post a pic of this on your newer SMB, I'd appreciate it.

To be clear, I'm talking about the hangers that attach a full-length PH bed to the roof, up and out of the way, when it's not being used.

Thanks!
Will definitely be following this thread of yours....!

Been meaning to make the same upgrade myself for quite a while......studied those newer (adjustable style) hanger straps in my friend's SMB, they sure do look like they make things a lot easier.

Must ask: where have you sourced the parts (straps/hangers) to do your newer-style strap upgrade?
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #3

I have a 2000 SMB, the cable was broken/missing when I bought the van so I just used some thin rope instead of cable, but the hanger was still attached to the roof. My mounting point is the same as the PH clamp.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #4

I did this on my older SMB. Start at post 157. I got some pics from MKryan's newer SMB and copied it with stuff from Lowe's.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-10698-16.html

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #5

What I'm replacing is on the right, and the new cable hanger is on the left.

I stopped in SMB West when we were in Fresno yesterday and bought them there. $25 for the three cables, three attachment cleats, and related screws. I was surprised that the cleats are plastic and not metal, though.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #6

Garage
Hey this is interesting:
That cleat-and-looped-steel-cable hardware setup you guys updated to looks tidy (and sturdy!) -- but it's actually a different setup from what I was expecting to see.

On my buddy's 1998 Chevy SMB (Austin-built), I believe the penthouse bed is suspended from the roof by a set of adjustable-length straps.....(which do fasten themselves to the bed with cleats like you're using.)

Their adjustable operation is pretty neat ---- if I recall correctly, you can easily determine if you want to snug the bed right up close to the roof (for maximum headroom), or you can let the straps out a bit, effectively lowering the bed a number of inches, if you want more space up there between the bed and the roof (for instance if you want to store all your bedding (and maybe some other clothing or clutter) up there during the day while you're camped somewhere.)

Will have to see if he might post some pics of his setup to confirm this.

EDIT: Hey, btw you guys -- if it wasn't obvious --- despite mentioning the setup I've observed and admired on my buddy's '98 SMB -- I mean no slight against the looped-cable-and-cleat setup you guys chose to craft! I'm quite envious of your setup too. The original 1995-vintage bed-hanging strap-and-hook hardware on my rig is indeed marginal at best.....you're both creating some overdue inspiration/motivation to pursue an update/improvement.

EDIT 2: *by the way, sorry if this ramble about slightly-different straps/hardware is in any way taking the OP's intended direction for this thread off-course. Really keen to see the same pictures of the rear roof-to-penthouse-bed-strap attachment hardware that the OP BrianW is looking to see.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #7

Still looking for a photo of the newer-style rear PH bed hanger. Can anyone snap a pic for us?
Old 07-05-2017, 11:01 PM   #8

Garage
TraceyL has some pictures in her gallery, I updated my bed recently.

I put 2 of those loops in the front and one center in the back:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ture31705.jpeg

Sportsmobile Forum - TracyL's Album: TracyL - Picture

Hope that helps.
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #9

When I made my bed i installed straps that were adjustable. I have never adjusted them in 8 years! Go figure.
Attached Thumbnails
29i Bed Ceiling Clip.jpg   29h Bed Ceiling Storage.jpg   29ij.jpg  

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote