Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
Dia

Please critique this van

OK, your favorite fence-sitter might be ready to jump. Hubs has me checking on financing and insurance, and he'll be talking to his work today to make sure the thing that killed our last deal is under control.

Here's what I'm looking for:

2008 or newer V10 EB with less than 100k miles. Seats 3-4 adults facing forward, preferably in car seat compatible seats. Sleeps 3-4, comfortable for six-footers. Window van preferred, but not mandatory. Not black, preferably tan, gold, silver or some other light color since we live in SoCal and have family in the desert. Want a poptop, but prefer CCV and willing to do it later.

The hard part is price - under 25k, built out. So if we get a newer base van, it needs to be 15k or so to give us room for a low cost build out.

And we found this: http://www.campingworldofsanantonio.com ... ile/276814

It's not everything we want, but it looks like a darn good compromise. No poptop, but we can do that in a year or two when we've scrounged together the bucks. Inverter, 12v cooler, beefed up AC. No onboard propane or water. We come from backpacker/ tent camper stock, so those don't bother me much. The biggest drawback I see is that I'm not sure if the rear passengers can see out of those little windows during travel.

We mostly camp in state and national parks, forest service places, etc. Probably don't need 4x4, though we might give boondocking a try if the vehicle is cut out for it. In this one, the kid will have to sleep in the aisle until we put a top on it, or we'll toss him outside in a pup tent.

I've attached the window sticker and the build sheet from Sportsmobile Texas who were kind enough to find the file and give it to me. Van was designed for a couple who used it for day trips and to pull an Airstream, hence the generator and fancy pants hitch, but lack of water and propane since they had it in the trailer.

So... what am I going to hate if I buy this van? Haven't pulled the Carfax yet, but I will after hubs OKs the financing and insurance stuff. How does the price look? Seems like a killer deal to me.

Thanks, everybody!

Attached Thumbnails
09Sporty.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 09Sporty2.pdf (137.7 KB, 18 views)

Old 04-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #2

Re: Please critique this van!

It's been for sale for ages.. at least 3 months. Seems to me it's overpriced, but maybe they're willing to deal now.

Other than that, if you're planning to haul passengers for any length of time, that back couch is pretty far back and dark.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
Dia

Yeah, the rear passenger seat isn't wonderful, but my rear passenger will probably have headphones on and his face in his phone or his Kindle. I'm thinking maybe I can have bigger windows put in?

Would be nice if they'd deal. Book on the van is 19k, the build out was $22,665. New, the van was nearly 40k thanks to a bunch of options. At $46k, they were smoking crack. $25? Might be do-able.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
And we found this: http://www.campingworldofsanantonio.com ... ile/276814
That one looks great! It even has a Pullrite hitch!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #5

The van looks nice. The convenience of having water on board and a heater for the nights is something I appreciate though. You could always use one of those portable heaters though. Is there storage space behind the rear bench seat like there is in the "50" style interior? It looks like its pushed all the way to the back of the van. If there isnt any storage space behind there, all of your bigger items will take up the aisle space which basically blocks the rear passenger in. That would be the only thing that I would be concerned about. You could probably remove the generator if you dont have any use for it and sell it to make up some of the cost too.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
Dia

I would probably sell the genny and the hitch. Since there's no water tank under the couch, I'd bet there's some storage there, plus that big closet is empty and there should be storage in the ottomans. I think the couch is farther back than on the 50 plan. Looks like a modified 81 plan.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
Dia

For the sake of comparison, we've also been looking at the ad for this one: http://www.sportsmobile.com/preowns/24

2003, 5.4L, 100k miles. Aisle plan with 3rd capt. chair, rear dinette and poptop. Thing is, whatever we get, we want to keep for 10 years or more. I'd feel much better with an 09 than an 03 if we're going to keep it that long.

Price-wise, the newer one also seems like the better buy for the money.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #8

Might be easier to find financing for the 09. The 03 is nice since its all done though. It already has a pop top and is pretty ideal in terms of seating arrangement for your family. Its priced pretty close to the 09, but it also has a pop top which would cost around $8k to have one installed. But with the 09, you could get the CCV top which has a wider bed and taller tent height.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #9
Dia

Yeah - older and built out vs newer and the engine I want. I'm leaning pretty hard toward newer. 25 plus 8 is 33, and 33k seems like not a bad price for what a nice 09 would be if it had a poptop. In fact, 09 2WD with a poptop? I think I've seen them for 40.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
...Other than that, if you're planning to haul passengers for any length of time, that back couch is pretty far back and dark.
I agree. Add road and engine noise to the equation, and communication will be next to impossible (I'm sure that would be fine for a teenager riding in back, for you, not so much if you want their attention. The ride might not be so great back there either.

I'd ask SMB if there's room to install another Captain's seat by the side barn doors (provided the cooler is removed).

Herb