Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #11

Re: Pleasure Way Lexor on ProMaster Chassis

"These figures confirm the model's unrivalled position: currently, more than three motorhomes out of four sold in Europe are created on a Ducato base."

http://www.fiatgroupautomobilespress.co ... .php?lng=2

In Europe where Sprinters and Transits have been competing with Fiat for decades, the Ducato is dominating the market. I'm wondering if the same will occur in USA market.

Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #12

http://www.fiatprofessionalpress.com/pr ... cle/116346

Trying one more time to see if link works to Fiat Professional site.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
John, I agree there doesn't seem to be a lot of storage space -- partly due to the amount of space allocated to living/bed area. However, because the rear bed is reportedly 73 inches across, I was thinking shorter campers could eliminate the rear couch entirely and sleep transversely on the dinette part. That would free up a large area in back which I would use for bikes and the like. Perhaps under a platform bed just behind the dinette section...
Ours had a power sofa with two switches, one for sliding the couch forward/reverse and one to angle the back and lay it all the way down. The ottomans were quite uncomfortable to sit on, they are really for stretching out and to complete the king bed. Our 11lb dog loved them as it got him away from the 60+ lb dog. He also would sequester himself to the driver's chair for "alone" time. We could sleep parallel or perpendicular to the van but laying with the grooves of the couch was more comfortable. I'm a little over 5'9" and my feet just touched the walls in the Chevy, I've never tried a Sprinter. The four of us spent quite a few nights in the van and the king bed was wonderful. Camping was the only time the dogs slept with us so we knew we wanted a large bed.

All that being said. When I used the van solo I wouldn't bother laying the couch down and just slept on it in couch mode. Sliding it all the way forward makes the depth into the van a bit tight but I could stretch my legs into the hall. That did give me some extra space at the back for larger items but with all of the camper components a bike would have been impossible. When we needed to transport bikes, kayaks and such we deployed the bed and placed them on top. I could also fit a 8' 6" WW kayak in the aisle. All that gear had to be pulled once at camp. We eventually added a bike rack.

I do think a much better space/comfort solution could be developed. I saw a handicapped accessible ERA, Sprinter long wheel base, once that left the entire rear cargo area empty. Essentially the same living area in that Pleasure-way. There was also a wider entry space, no cabinet in front of the door, and an open space behind the driver. Basically a kitchen opposing a wardrobe and bath all in the middle of the van. I'm guessing the dealer would have finished out any sleeping area requirements but a neat concept, albeit still way too pricey for what it was.

-John