Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
CSG

Re: Pleasureway Traverse

Well, you can do what I've considered and convert it to 4x4. The cost of used or new Sportsmobiles is high and many people load them up with, what are for me, unnecessary options.

I can bring the Traverse to SLC and have Advanced 4X4 do a conversion for about $9200. The reason I haven't is that I'm not in need of 4x4 all that much as I'm not going to do hardcore stuff anyway. Should I decide that I want to go camping in a more backcountry capable rig, I've got a Lexus LX470 which is far more capable than I need. I do consider it from time to time though as it would make an nearly perfect camping rig.

Dirt/gravel roads rarely need four wheel drive unless they are muddy, icy, rutted, etc. So much if driving is using common sense. A great driver could take a 2x4 many more places than a poor driver could take a 4x4 IMO.

One thing a local 4x4 suspension shop advised me was rather than convert the van to 4x4, get some decent recovery gear and use my head.