Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #11

Re: Pop-Top Canvas: Mold & Condensation: How to Amend Problem?

You can put "Leaky Top" in the search and "jage" as the author and read all about it.

Most important is probably this specific one:
viewtopic.php?p=4347#p4347

Long story short I did all the back 5 bolts with enough butyl rubber to cater a wedding in District 9 and all new "correct" hardware.

I have everything to do the front, but it wasn't a problem until snowpack was sitting on the van long enough to melt over several days holding the water over the front fasteners. The leak showed up in the back, which is no surprise as the top slopes down to the rear hardware. It's currently under a cover. A tarp would be better than nothing, but only if it keeps the water off the top of the top... for me at least anything blowing under the edges would just pool and sit over the back hardware, which isn't a problem anymore but was before the fix.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #12

Jeff,

I had a similar leak, for me the culprit was the bolt that goes trough the top to support the rear of the penthouse bed, my penthouse bed is a one piece. But really any of those bolts could cause the issue. The first thing to make sure is that the black plastic caps are over those bolts, but it sounds like you may have to replace the butyl rubber gasket. I have some left over material feel free to PM me about it. I built little damn's around the bolts individually and a water bottle to find out which bolt was leaking. I would also try to keep it in the same place where you have it now, the level of the van can change where the water will go. In the below picture it is difficult to tell but bolt is not centered in the roof rib and the washer never really seated flat.

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff00seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
As far as cleaning the mold on the canvas, mix a solution of half rubbing alcohol and half water. Dip a white cotton rag in the solution and rub the spot vigorously.
Will this solution damage or discolor the canvas?

Thanks
It shouldn't...I've used it and it removed the mold and returned the canvas to its original color. Try it first on a small corner that won't be visible just to be sure. It won't damage the canvas.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #14

As a guy still trying to decide if I should cut a massive hole in the top of my van, these threads give me pause. Are these issues the exception? Are these issues found in previous generations of PH tops and have been corrected in the new vans/tops? Are these issues related to a failure to follow some SMB maintenance schedule?

Someone please tell me not to worry because the vast majority don't have any issues. Please.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #15

I think these issues are the exception. Let's face it, all products have some failures. The SMB is a complex, low volume product and probably has some problems (I've had no SMB problems, Ford van - many problems).

I couldn't bring myself to worry about these issues. And even the people (Jage) who had the worst of it probably still want to have and keep their SMB.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #16

Jessenej,

Exception or not, I would think long and hard about getting a penthouse top if you live somewhere wet and have to store the van outside. My experience is that the design is flawed and will not hold up in a wet climate. There are valleys in the top, and that is where the attachment points are as well. So, if your van is parked so that the top is level, water will pool up and eventually leak. My first SMB had a PH top and I had a serious leak within a year. I love the concept but it is not executed well. If you live in socal and store it inside you should be fine, otherwise I would get a fixed top. Thats what I just did.

TM
Old 01-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #17

I think the new tops have gone away from the ribs and now have a flat top. No more water puddling at the through holes.

Here is a thread that talks about the top issues:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1350

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #18

So having had a leak in the rib, I don't think it was because the design was flawed. It was in my opinion a workmanship error. If the hole would have been centered in the rib the washer would have made a made the correct contact. Pooling could still be caused on the newer flat top, you need to be careful on your penthouse latch adjustment or how far the electric penthouse pulls the top down.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #19

My leaks are a workmanship error of a different type- using a 1/2" hole washer for a 1/4" bolt next to the fiberglass allows the fiberglass to split up into the dead space, and makes it very hard to seal (apparently).

I don't believe the flat/channelless top would change anything as the overall structure on mine causes water to pool in the back around the hardware. I've talked to others who have a more convex top and others who are concave in the front... however pooling water had not been a problem when the hardware is sealed properly (which I have yet to do to the front).
Old 01-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #20

We live in Seattle and store our Sportsmobile outside and it is half way though its second winter and it stays dry inside. We do have a cover and if it is going to sit for more than a couple of day I put the cover on. This doesn't keep it totally dry but it keep the majority of the water off.

Jeff, if you want to dry out your van your best bet is to put a space heater in it for a week or so and keep it warm. It would probably be best to put the top up and crack a couple of the windows on the top so the moist air can escape.

John