Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2019, 08:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff00seattle View Post

Please provide link to thread about replacing the helper springs with gas struts and die springs.

Gas spring mod starts at post #66

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...gs-1084-7.html

Quote:
Hello again,
This is an important question for me, because if this power-assist fails to lift pop-top, a manual lift of pop-top is no longer available because PH cross-bars and spring housing will no longer be available, because they are remove during power-assist installation.

The crossbars and extension springs remain; the helper springs are replaced by Linak linear actuators, and a few other mods are made.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Can mount a compressor under you Rig or have one in the Van that is portable - they always come in handy - need to get one that will handle the load though.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, having had my sports mobile for 10+ years, I have never considered the need to have a compressor.

I am considering power-lift that requires a compressor, but I am trying to justify why I would need a compressor for any other need.

How have you found a compressor handy and glad you brought it along with your SMB?
Old 08-31-2019, 05:29 PM   #13

Quote:
How have you found a compressor handy and glad you brought it along with your SMB?

The most common use is when you need to "air down" when in 4WD....like in sand, etc. When you are back on pavement compressor is used to air up.

...and you can inflate motorcycle tires, run air tools, etc etc.....
2003 Honda Element
Old 08-31-2019, 05:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
The crossbars and extension springs remain; the helper springs are replaced by Linak linear actuators, and a few other mods are made.
Thanks, I have looked at your great post:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post231339

What model of Linak linear actuators replaced the helper springs?
https://www.linak.com/

Thank you
Old 08-31-2019, 07:21 PM   #15

Quote:

What model of Linak linear actuators replaced the helper springs?
https://www.linak.com/

Thank you

I actually did a fair bit of digging into the linak actuators..they are cheap on ebay....talked to tech support there. The issue with ebay Linaks are that many of the P/N's on ebay are proprietary to other customers of theirs, like wheelchair manufacturers.

I did a bunch of calcs a while back and the PH roof application was nothing too special for these units.

I snapped pics of member Bmerritt's actuators when he was transplanting his top:

...and this is the series of actuators used....I have a note here that says it's the LA31 careline series.......commonly used for medical stuff like OR tables, gurneys, etc.

The exact actuators are a proprietary Linak P/N for SMB.......and the tech guy couldn't share specifics.....but there are std linak P/N's that would work just fine. Can't remember details now. Also there is a controller box which "balances/synchronizes" the actuator travel for high accuracy applications; raising and lowering the roof isn't one of those applications.

I don't want to sound arrogant here.....but the SMB designs for much of the top is nothing too special.....it's pretty straightforward to redesign much of their PH hardware for improvement.
2003 Honda Element
Old 09-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Hello again,
Before I put a cent into purchasing a costly servicing of $3800 into a power-assist provided by SMB West to a pop-top for my spouse, can anybody vouch as to its reliability? This is an important question for me, because if this power-assist fails to lift pop-top, a manual lift of pop-top is no longer available because PH cross-bars and spring housing will no longer be available, because they are remove during power-assist installation.

Nope, that system can fail as well, however I believe smb as upgraded some hardware for it now? Nothing SMB has built or added to the vans will last forever. It will all break at some point....like boat ownership without the saltwater. Unless you get stuck on the beach with a rising tide...LOL
Check your springs and have some help raising and lowering the top. Much cheaper in the long run. If your top is really rotted out do to the leaks, you might want to just consider a new top all together, then add the electric option then. Its also a good time to get new canvas as well if needed. Then you have a fresh new system to enjoy for many more years!
Old 09-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyAZ View Post
..... If your top is really rotted out do to the leaks, you might want to just consider a new top all together, then add the electric option then. Its also a good time to get new canvas as well if needed. Then you have a fresh new system to enjoy for many more years!
If your SMB Top is rotted out then just get a CCV Top and be much happier and far more comfortable.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #18

Quote:
I actually did a fair bit of digging into the linak actuators..they are cheap on ebay....talked to tech support there. The issue with ebay Linaks are that many of the P/N's on ebay are proprietary to other customers of theirs, like wheelchair manufacturers.

The exact actuators are a proprietary Linak P/N for SMB.......and the tech guy couldn't share specifics.....but there are std linak P/N's that would work just fine. Can't remember details now. Also there is a controller box which "balances/synchronizes" the actuator travel for high accuracy applications; raising and lowering the roof isn't one of those applications.

I don't want to sound arrogant here.....but the SMB designs for much of the top is nothing too special.....it's pretty straightforward to redesign much of their PH hardware for improvement.

Your observations are consistent with mine. I had an slightly un-synchronized lift/lower rate and interconnect washer/bolt wear issue and dug into the design. Really you can get the SMB spec for throw and power and go from there. The two actuators are independently switched/powered by, (from memory), a double pole double throw rocker switch.....
The channel design is a little different for the electric, having had both a mechanical and electric top. There is a second "car" inside the main channel among other things (I have posted pics of the electric design) and the linaks must be mounted across the back....Sometimes I think the simpler and quicker mechanical design is better, except when throwing loads on top and having to push it up. My mechanical was set up so that my wife could raise it with about 0-40# on top. But she did not weigh enough to bring it down . She would be left hanging...
I had a job
That configuration made lifting it with 0# really quite easy.....
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Gas spring mod starts at post #66
Hi, I am most interested in the brand/model number for these gas springs:

To be clear, this is a separate solution from your recommended Linak linear actuators, correct?
Old 09-10-2019, 01:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Hi, I am most interested in the brand/model number for these gas springs:

To be clear, this is a separate solution from your recommended Linak linear actuators, correct?

The gas springs above were an early iteration of a solution.....the final gas spring configuration McMaster-Carr P/N's are in post 83 of the thread.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...gs-1084-9.html

To be clear, I have not recommended any Linak Actuators.........yes this is a completely separate solution. The linak actuators would physically be located where these gas springs (or the stock helper springs) are located on a manual top.
2003 Honda Element

Tags
pop top, power lift