Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #41

Re: Pop top scissor bolts snapped & will not rise

Well guys, today while installing a TruckVault as the base of my bed, I discovered that the upper, plastic guide (passenger side) in the metal track, was off its "mount". I had to use a screwdriver to get it back on the metal frame, but it kept coming back off when I put the top up and down. What a POS this design is.

Heck, Ive only had this top up and down maybe 20 times in a year. After all, I'm still in building mode.

I also discovered that the support poles base bolts were scraping along the base frame sides, causing binding and bending (see scrapes and 1 bent bolt in pic).

The plastic track SHOULD have been glued to the metal base, not just relying on a plastic press fit. As a fix, I drilled a hole on the base, next the plastic guide that keeps coming off. I then glued the guide on to the base, and then used a zip tie in the new hole, and around the end of the plastic guide and lubed with copper anti-seize.

I also used 4 pieces of clear tubing, which I cut to about 5/8 lengths, then V-notched each end. These were then pressed into each end of the plastic guides to hold the ends in place.

I then trimmed off a 1/4" of the base bolts so they wouldn't scrape and bind anymore.

No wonder the cross-bolts are snapping. The plastic guide design is seriously lacking....

I also have no idea why the top sections of vinyl covering are getting thrashed, as well...

Rollers creating damage to vinyl.

Center section bolts. High tensile?

My fix to keep the ends tucked in (you could add silicone to the center of the tube, which would practically guarantee the tube not loosening up, yet be able to replace the guides in the future with ease.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Is this on electric, manual or both versions?
it looks (from the photos) that Lens and 4x4tour are manual. At least my electric lifting mechanism is comply different. (Has 3 arms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4tour
Can anyone confirm that the black allen cap bolts are an update, or?
I have a 2008 electric. The scissors joint has a pin, not a threaded bolt.

4x4tour: On the last two photos, is that rust on the nut and on the guides? Do you have an underlying moisture problem that could shorten the lifespan of the asembly?
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #43

No, that is copper anti-seize (didn't have flash on camera). It seems to help glide easier. Cutting the bolt ends that that were scraping the sides of the frame probably helped, too. I'll need to replace the bent bolt, entirely. The black crossbeam allen head bolts were straight as an arrow (for now)... The stuff on the nut is red loctite from the factory.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #44

Mine is a manual top. The bolt securing the chain to the active arm on mine appears to be 1/4 inch shorter then 4x4tour's. Mine have some clearance and do not rub. I would also have some trouble lowering/storing the bed if my scissor bolts were as long as 4x4tour bolt photo shows. Appears there is no "standard" SMB parts list or build requirements.....other than just "install a bolt in hole".

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #45

My tubes have no rollers at the top to keep the tubes centered in the top. That is a new one to me. The sample I saw at SMB-I when I was looking to buy also did not have any rollers at the top.

Are those rollers OEM or did maybe a previous owner add them??

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #46

Upper rollers (thick plastic washers) were installed by SMB west.

Also, why not use some thin Teflon squares under the base poles that glide (scrape) along the bottom of the frame? You can clearly see the friction by all of the scrape marks.

What they were thinking with those long bolts jammed along the side of the frame is beyond me... I have no doubt this top would have failed on me, if I had not noticed these issues.