Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 PM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
For US&R FEMA deployments we used Western Shelter Insula

For US&R FEMA Deployments we use Western Shelter Insulation kits in all of our "TENTS" & shelters. The tents on their own allowed for big degrees of temperature fluctuation. When we add the "insulation" kit to the walls, the heat stays in when we heat the shelter and conversely, it can also keep the heat out and the cold in. I plan on using an older damaged section of that western shelter insulation kit and modify it for use in the Penthouse. Literally it was night and day when we used it in a course in Las Vegas. 100% heat outside and much much nicer inside a shelter with the kit. I believe Western Shelter is in Oregon and in the past they created custom items for us. I might try and get a hold of them to see if they can create a custom Insul kit, but I doubt it will be cheap.

Joe

http://www.westernshelter.com/product.php?ID=77

jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #12

Jage
Remember its like a disco party with that insulation in. The insulation makes a very big diference in retaining heat, a must for snow country.
Got it at lowes.

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:17 AM   #13

That foil insulation is made by Reflextic. I've found it at Lowe's, Home Depot, and Ace Hardware stores. If Ace doesn't have it in stock, it's in their catalog. I've seen it in 16", 24" and 48" widths. That's for fastening to house studs and joists. Good stuff. Use it in my SMB for front window covers and the ceiling of my Baja house.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #14

We move the top bed forward, so that there is about a food of space at the rear end of the bed. Since warm air raises, the air circulates and keeps the top warmer.

Best,

Joerg
sportsmobile3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
A nice 12v fan helps too. We found a good, quiet one at a local marine store.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage
Re: For US&R FEMA deployments we used Western Shelter In

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrray
For US&R FEMA Deployments we use Western Shelter Insulation kits in all of our "TENTS" & shelters.

Joe

http://www.westernshelter.com/product.php?ID=77
Joe is that material cloth like or is it like reflectix? I would like to have a roll down barrier installed similar to the privacy shades.

As far as cold, I have camped to 8 degrees while sleeping on top in a 40 degree bag. The diesel furnace was on a fairly high setting and I was fine although some people would say its too cold. I was actually colder in middle teens with a brisk wind where it felt cold enough that I was thinking of dropping the top. I use reflectix in all the glass windows which makes a huge difference but to carry a large roll around all the time for the PH would take up too much space IMO. I might look into insulated curtains also.
Dave B

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:00 PM   #17

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
Its more like..

Its more like one of those quilted moving blankets, just not as flexible. I imagine at smaller sizes, it can roll better. We folded them into bags, which for the size of the shelters, was not very large.

Joe
Old 06-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Craig (calclimber) made a "winterizing" kit out of that foil looking insulation which goes around the whole top. I believe they got a roll at the local hardware store but I have yet to find some (Camping World has large rolls for Class A window shades if all else fails)

I bought a roll of this stuff in the 24" size and cut a piece to fit in each window. I was going to use sticky magnetic tape, but the tape didn't stick to the foil and the magnetic tape wasn't strong enough to hold to the door frames. Instead, I just cut the insulation about a quarter inch larger than the windows and they all fit in nice and tight. The only trouble is, they let absolutely no light in and we may wind up sleeping all day.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #19

I found some insulation at a local HW store.

They are silver / reflective on both sides and look almost like bubble wrap inside. The outside feels fairly durable and they run in 24" or 36" widths. I think it was just under 2 bucks a LF for the 24" stuff. I'll check that stuff out and let you know how it works. I'm going to be taking off of work for the month of July and where we go camping, its crazy hot. I hope this stuff will help insulate the top.

JOe
Old 06-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #20
Site Team

Garage
Yea get back to me Joe. I really would like to see how it would work. It would nice if it wasn't as stiff as reflectics.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote