Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #1

Pop-Top warmth

Hi,

Who has a pop-top and sleeps up there in the winter?
How warm is it?
Does heat from below rise up there?
If it is really cold, is it better to leave the pop-top down?

Any suggestons? (Besides a warm sleeping bag!)

Thanks,

Zugg

Old 05-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #2

Garage
haven't actually slept up top in sub-zero temps but i have spent a few nights in 15-20 degree temps. I used a heavier down sleeping bag and it was OK - no complaints. I did have the furnace running all night long and was not really warmer up top - the canvas does not hold the heat in too well. If i knew temps were going to be super cold I would definitely keep the top down for extra insulation and a smaller space for the furnace to keep warm.

-d
Old 05-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #3

Seeing that we live in NW Montana, we camp a lot in Glacier NP and the Canadian Rockies and my wife and I sleep up top in the penthouse. Without a doubt it's warmer down below where our daughter sleeps. The canvas is not an insulator by any means and it can get pretty cold up top. Just need a warm sleeping bag. We use a sleeping bag made for two and that works great.

Marc
Old 05-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #4

For sleeping in the penthouse I highly recommend making curtains out of warm windows fabric that completely wrap around the penthouse. I've used this in some fairly cold weather and it makes a tremendous difference vs just the plain canvas walls. It also helps block out the heat from the sun in the summer time.
jeff@work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #5

Depends on who you're sleeping with.
Driving across country this January, we ran into below freezing weather, my husband was fine upstairs with a good down bag, I was better below with the same rated bag and a dog. When the winds got wild and it was in the teens in New Mexico, he joined us below. I'd say the wind was the bigger factor for abandoning the upper berth. This was without firing up the furnace.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:28 PM   #6

Craig (calclimber) made a "winterizing" kit out of that foil looking insulation which goes around the whole top. I believe they got a roll at the local hardware store but I have yet to find some (Camping World has large rolls for Class A window shades if all else fails)
Old 05-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #7

Lowes (like a Home Depot) has rolls of some stuff that is like bubble wrap with aluminum foil on both sides. I think it comes in both 2' and 3' widths and lengths of 25' or so. It might be just the ticket to wrap all the way around the top. I am getting my top installed on June 2, but we are not even getting the bed and will be sleeping downstairs. So if the weather is too bad, we will just leave the top down. I am planning to have a couple of plywood shelves about 18" or so to put upstairs to store stuff at night.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #8

We modified our thermostat, so it will keep the lower part of the cabin about 40 degrees. In the penthouse, the temps are probably 5-10 degrees cooler.

We have no problem sleeping with a down comforter in the penthouse with temps in the teens. Reach down and turn the heat up before rising. Much nicer than the tent used to be.

Still quite cold outside by 8AM, but the 6.0 fired right up.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382
Lowes (like a Home Depot) has rolls of some stuff that is like bubble wrap with aluminum foil on both sides. I think it comes in both 2' and 3' widths and lengths of 25' or so. It might be just the ticket to wrap all the way around the top.
Yeah that's what I'm talking about- my Lowe's doesn't carry it.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Reach down and turn the heat up before rising. Much nicer than the tent used to be.
Mike
Better yet, replace the stock thermostat with a programmable thermostat and don't even get up until it is warm downstairs!