Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #11

Re: Poptop at windy Burning Man

I seem to remember being told when I picked up my van to lower the top if winds got above 40 mph. I've been bunkering down when it wasn't necessary?

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #12

It's good to hear that the top has been sturdy in a whole lot of wind. This will make camping there a lot easier.

I didn't think of reading the Sportsmobile manual. I will look for a recommendation. And I'll bring an anemometer, because unless there is water to look at and use the Beaufort scale, I can't tell if wind on my face is 30, 40, or 50 mph.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buji
I seem to remember being told when I picked up my van to lower the top if winds got above 40 mph. I've been bunkering down when it wasn't necessary?
That’s sound familiar. They did tell me something to that effect but I just don’t remember the actual number. Nevertheless SMB would have to cover their tail ends. That was one of the first questions I asked before making the final order. I figure they do some kind of 1/3 engineering rule or at least I hope they do. If you think about it, what will stop 40MPH becoming 60MPH while you’re asleep? During my 50 MPH week at Death Valley I kept the top down. The next day I woke up to find 3 other SMB’s with their tops up . The following night I kept the top up but never got too much sleep. The rocking didn’t bother me and the wind sound actually helped me sleep, but the worry that the wind would increase while I was asleep kept me on edge. It was kind of like when you leave on a trip and wonder if you locked your front door. Bugged me all night! If anybody finds the real number please post it.
BTW the same thing happened to me the first time I had the top up and it snowed all night.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #14

I am sure the top will handle the wind at Black Rock but you might want to think about the dust. I have driven on the Black Rock Desert several times and have camped on the mountain right next to the desert. The dust there is extremely fine and gets into, and around, everything. It is like a clay silt dust. Most of the RV rental places in Reno won't rent to someone if they know they are going to Burning Man. You have to sign a waiver if you rent that weekend and they charge you an extremely high cleaning cost if a person goes to Burning Man after saying that they aren't (it is easy to tell when the RV comes back). oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #15

I just got off the phone with Jeff at SMBw and he confirmed with Peter that at 45 you want to start thinking about lowering the top. He said there wasn't really a fixed speed, but if was moving around etc. you would probably want to drop it.

I think it probably depends on what you have on top (weight as well as aerodynamics), the angle of the wind, and your own comfort level.

I will say, that one time in Joshua tree, I woke up in the early morning thinking I was in a hurricane, and would have swore the wind was around 50 mph, but when I checked with someone else who had an anemometer he said it was only 35.

When I got out it wasn't as bad as it sounded inside the van.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #16

Somewhat related to the topic...

Does anyone put any additional support (i.e. rods or dowels) in the four corners to hold up the penthouse?

When I carry a lot of weight on the roof and its windy, I'm paranoid that the penthouse might drop while I am sleeping.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #17

By rods, do you mean in addition to the fold down rods that come with the top?? oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv
By rods, do you mean in addition to the fold down rods that come with the top?? oclv
Some/many/most of us do not have the fold down rods.

Herb
Old 04-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #19

I didn't even know there were rods.

Anyone worried about the roof coming down?
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #20

I've worried about the top coming down. Not from wind, but from snow buildup. So we carry wooden dowels, cut to fit the corners of the penthouse. I put them in the corners when I'm concerned.

They simply lay in the back, under the folded p/h wall when the top is down.

Of course, when it snows, it is cold and we could sleep down with the top down. But, we like to sleep in the penthouse - it is more comfortable.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote