Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #1

porta shower

does anyone use the inside porta shower. i would like to see some pictures of it,especially
the bottom and how it hooks to the cloth walls.

gerry

Old 03-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #2

Re: porta shower

We shower quite often when camping. Unless it is cold outside, we use the outside shower faucet ala natural when boondocking or with our pop-up tent:

http://www.evergreen-outdoors.net/outba ... _privy.htm

There are also a lot of showers which can be rented by the minute. For example, in the east side of the Sierras, there are a number listed on:

http://www.climber.org/data/showers.html

We still occasionally use our porta shower....it is very nice to be able to have a full shower when there is no other option.

The bottom of the vinyl walls snap into the "bottom pan" but the walls don't connect to the "canvas" walls of the SMB...there are instead connectors which screw into the penthouse ceiling to hold up the top of the shower walls. The shower walls have the companion part with a slot for these fittings...hard to describe but it is very easy to put the shower up. The shower has a zipper....open the zipper, strip and step in, zip up the shower, and enjoy a shower. We find that we can both take a "Navy" shower and not overflow the tub. We also have a portable wood shower deck from Camping World to stand on in the shower and that keeps our feet out of the water:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... deck/24478

(This shower deck is also nice when using rental showers.)

Emptying the shower box when you are finished was once a problem. Some campgrounds won't let you dump gray water out on the ground which means that the waste water has to go into the sink/grey water tank. Even if you can dump the water, it is not that simple to carry the full tub out to dump it and not accidentally spill it. I solved that problem with a small 120v waterfall pump. When you are all done, I plug in the pump and pump the waste water into the sink. The water which can't be picked up can be easily mopped up with a towel. The pump is stored in the shower box itself.

The walls of the shower need to be dried off when you are done. If it is sunny outside, we just open the shower up and lay it on the picnic table. Otherwise, we dry it with a towel the best we can and completely dry it when we get home.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #3

I have no insight/info on the porta shower setup since we don't have it.. We use a Zodi extreme with a PETT enclosure.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #4

thanks so far for the replies. my wife intend to use the sportsmobile in our retirement.

i had hoped not to install a shower stall but it will probably be necessary

again thanks
Old 03-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Gerry,

We will post some pics once we get home from our mini vacation. We are currently in San Elijo surf/camping, and heading east to Arizona, maybe? We use the porta-shower all the time. We had the outdoor shower ind its a PITA to put up, and you can't really use it unless you boondock. I did a few modifications on the porta-shower to make my life a bit easier. I will take some pics and post them up. It is priceless since my wife and 2 year old daughter love it.

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #6

I use the external shower sans setup. If there are neighbors I just wear a bathing suit.

It looks like the porta shower could be added to almost any van where you can stand- is that true, or am I missing something about the drain?
Old 03-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgeek33
Gerry,

We will post some pics once we get home from our mini vacation. We are currently in San Elijo surf/camping, and heading east to Arizona, maybe? We use the porta-shower all the time. We had the outdoor shower ind its a PITA to put up, and you can't really use it unless you boondock. I did a few modifications on the porta-shower to make my life a bit easier. I will take some pics and post them up. It is priceless since my wife and 2 year old daughter love it.

Ray
thanks Ray,

that will be greatly appreciated,

gerry
Old 03-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
It looks like the porta shower could be added to almost any van where you can stand- is that true, or am I missing something about the drain?
True...assuming you install the clips in the penthouse ceiling to hold up the walls of the shower...
Old 03-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

As promised! Hope this helps.

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2682

Cheers! Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #10

thanks Ray.