Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2019, 11:23 AM   #1

Garage
Post-Ravelco Door Lock Fail - Need Advice

Nuts! Had a Ravelco system installed in Colorado. Now my door locks won’t open with the door switch. At the same time, the 12V outlet behind the driver seat went dead. My initial guess is that Ravelco shorted something out during the install, so I’m thinking fuses first. I pulled the fuse the manual indicates for door locks but it’s intact. Before I go crawling in to test every other fuse, can anybody offer a likely culprit to look at?

Darnedest thing... yesterday, after installing a needed new starter battery, the locks started to all lock, as usual, on start-up, and unlock when I opened the driver door. It did that for an hour of errands and now isn’t. In neither case can I get the driver door automatic lock/unlock to work. Interestingly, my after-market alarm fob will arm the alarm but will no longer lock/unlock the doors.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #2

Garage
Unfortunate for sure - several threads out there on the lock gremlins , do a search to access them - unfortunately the resolves seem to be all over the board (mine were fixed when I replaced both starting batteries, one was almost dead & the other at about 60%).

Start with these:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ues-24061.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...cks-23117.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...cks-18943.html
Old 10-30-2019, 07:23 PM   #3

Garage
Thanks for the reply, Twoxentrix. I've read through those gremlin posts and will check out the possible solutions.

But I'm still hoping someone will have some input about why the 12V outlet behind the driver's seat went dead. May have something to do with the door lock gremlins but maybe not?

All I know is, it's driving me nuts. And I can't charge my Dometic battery!
Old 10-30-2019, 09:16 PM   #4

I don't have a electrical diagram for 2014, but 2010 show that auxiliary power point rear to be fused at Battery Junction Box F66 20 Amp fuse. I would check that first,

greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:27 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
I don't have a electrical diagram for 2014, but 2010 show that auxiliary power point rear to be fused at Battery Junction Box F66 20 Amp fuse. I would check that first,

greg
Thanks, Greg. I’ll check that one. I just ordered an electrical manual on EBay. Maybe that’ll help too.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:39 AM   #6

By simply looking at a fuse, you can't always tell if it's blown. It's easiest to use one of the testers with a ground wire and a pointed probe. Ground the lead with the alligator clip, touch the positive terminal of the battery to make sure you have a good ground, then touch both sides of the fuse, it should light on each side. The little blade fuses have accessible metal contacts on top,one on each side. When you touch one, the light should light up. If only one side lights the light, the fuse is blown. Even if you don't know which fuse it is, you can check them all this way in about a minute. Some won't have power on either side though, until you turn on the key or some accessory starts up. You might also call the Revelco installer to see what input they may have.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:52 PM   #7

Garage
Thanks for the info. I’ll add that to my lengthening check list. I spoke with the installer the first day. His response: “we don’t touch any of those things during the install. recommend checking the fuses.” Ya.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #8

Garage
Door Lock Gremlins have Moved On

Thought I’d update this thread. After two months of serious lack of cooperation punctuated with the occasional proper functioning, my door locks have taken the path that most seem to take on this forum. I even hesitate to say this out loud, but the Gremlins seem to have moved on. The doors now lock and unlock consistently with key fob and door switch. What the heck?? It’s left me with the sensation that something in a computer got upset during the Ravelco install and then somehow took two months to reset itself. I hate how un-technical that sounds but there ya have it. Maybe I should start lighting candles to the door-lock gods to keep them appeased.

As for the blown 12V outlet, I managed to reach in and test some of the fuses but for the life of me can’t contort myself into enough of a pretzel to reach the ones I need to test. How in the heck do you guys physically manage to get at those fuses under the dash to test them? I’m not that large but I can’t fit both arms in there. I tried holding both leads with one hand but no go. Please tell me I’m missing something. Like a magic trick. I don’t mind feeling like an idiot. I’m about to remove the seat but that seems extreme.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
....but for the life of me can’t contort myself into enough of a pretzel to reach the ones I need to test. How in the heck do you guys physically manage to get at those fuses under the dash to test them? I’m not that large but I can’t fit both arms in there. I tried holding both leads with one hand but no go. Please tell me I’m missing something. Like a magic trick. I don’t mind feeling like an idiot. I’m about to remove the seat but that seems extreme.
Sorry Otter, had a good laugh after I read this. I too had the same contortion issue when hunting my locking gremlins a while back, along with navigating through all the additional wires, fuses, etc that sat in front of my fuse box.
I got so frustrated I just brought the Van to my local Ford Dealer and had them replace all the fuses in that area - figured all new ones at once would be a good idea since there was no way I was diving in again.
As you & others experienced, no fuses were to blame & the issue fixed itself once i replaced my batteries.
Hope you get an answer that provides a more cost effective solution.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:37 PM   #10

Garage
LOL, glad to hear I’m not the only one who can’t manage to crawl in there!

Anybody got any strategies?

Tags
ravelco