Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #1

Previous SMB owner, 2nd question

Planning new SMB. (GM ext/Quiqley)
1) Diesel option: SMB site does not provide info. on the Espar system for furnace, cook top,& water heater. How do the physical sizes of the furnace and water heater components compare to propane 6 gal water heater and propane furnace. I am told that the cook top takes time to get used to, & that it is a bit slower. With deletion of the propane capability, what would the approx. cost be for the Espar diesel system.

2) It appears that Espar also has a system for gasoline fuel. As I am not yet committed to a diesel engine ($11,000 option) if anyone has information or a source for information, it would be appreciated. Any concern about safety?

3) I read comments on the SMB forum regarding using a flatplate heat exchanger, a coolant pump, and routing flow thru the engine block to provide hot water while engine is running or for a brief time after engine shut down. This may be adequate, with outside shower, to wash a muddy std. poodle or a brief shower on occasions, and warm water is adequate. I have no problem using the propane stove top to heat water, & propane furnace if I go with a gas engine, & delete the propane water heater. Any info on this option? Has SMB done this or is it an after market?
Thanks for any assistance as I plan my 2nd SMB. Wayne

Scooter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #2

Re: Previous SMB owner, 2nd question

1) Like a book in the wall vs a microwave under your couch. And another larger microwave under the van. And a second fuel source. That you can't fill yourself. And sometimes the attendant is less capable than a child would be at filling.
2) Espar has gasoline but SMB will not install for liability, this does not necessarily mean this is unsafe there have been more than a few discussions.
2a) I'm pretty sure you can have a separate diesel fuel source for the espar. I know this is true of diesel generators. Hmmm...
3) Hot water is king in my book, nothing like washing your hands after a grimy rest stop without a sink. still plenty of people live without it and even don't want it. there are at least two threads on road showers
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11431&hilit=road+shower
But I wouldn't give my easy built in hot water up despite all the idiot propane attendants in the world.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Why I haven't seen virtually any info on gasoline heaters/stoves is strange. I know they are out there. IMO Espar stuff is a luxury item. If on the road for long times, the Hydronic is a nice expensive item. I actually use mine for preheating the engine much more than for hot water. For the occasional shower, if I were to do a gas powered van the flat plate would be fine for my use if money was a factor.
The units themselves are very compact. You might want to go on the espar site cause I think they now make a combo cab/water heater. Seems I spent about 3000 but would have to dig out the paperwork to know for sure.
I didn't know SMB is installing diesel cook tops. Like the gasoline stuff, maybe SMB won't install due to safety factors. I have both diesel Espar cab and water heaters and just recently had a small propane tank added and cook top installed. Again, it was kind of a luxury item. Before I just used the portable butane stove. SMB never mentioned the diesel cook top and I sure would have looked that option over.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #4

Sportsmobile will instal diesel cook top. We are having it instal on our Sprinter.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Man, I wish I would have been able to go that route. It must be W/I the last year or so or I would have thought they would have mentioned that. I would like to see a picture of that cook top.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailordive
Sportsmobile will instal diesel cook top. We are having it instal on our Sprinter.
They didn't used to- the Badgers had to install their own post build.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #7

SMB Wests's you tube chanel has a Sprinter walk tru that shows a diesel stove etc...
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Might be an Sprinter thing.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Might be an Sprinter thing.
It's not any safer or less liable in a Sprinter. It might be that on a different day or from a different person you get a different answer...
Old 09-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #10

Garage

We inquired about this Webasto diesel cooktop for our 2011 build. It was about a $4,500 option. It didn't make the cut.

[youtube:215s6i9f]