Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #1

Propane valve frozen stuck

Our SMB has the suburban propane heating system. Great setup and something we use more often than I expected.

Last week I went to check the propane level in the tank and found that the main valve used to open and close the flow of propane is frozen stuck. And I mean stuck. Vice grips and WD40 could not get it to budge, and for obvious reasons I was reluctant to beat on it with a hammer. There is no propane odor and the smaller vapor vent valve works just fine.

Very odd as the main valve has always very easily opened and closed in the past.

The heater works just fine and I've got about a half-tank of propane left which will last us a long time.

Just curious if others have encountered the same problem and/or if there are common causes of a stuck valve like this. Also, any suggestions on where I might get the valve replaced in SoCal would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

Old 02-04-2008, 10:50 PM   #2

Propane Valve

Rob, All ASME type tanks utilize a valve that contains an (O RING) These valve's must never be more than hand tight , possible problem may have been over tightend by the last person filling the tank for you resulting in a compressed O RING , these O RINGS are also sensitive to dust, dirt and moisture . Have you done a liquid soap test at the valve ? to insure that you don't have any leakage at this location . If you overfilled the tank and subjected the system to freezing temperatures it could also be the cause of a damaged O RING . I have seen on more than one occasion Propane Dealers using Channel Locks to shut the valve off prior to filling which should never , never be done (Hand Tight Only) damaging the O RING .
If you have an RV dealer close to you it should be an easy fix . I had
Camping World 800 626-5944 replace 1 tank and 1 valve after a very torturous trip to Punta Pequena point's South in search of Wave's and Fish. I was obliged to have them air ship into La Paz , a lot wasted time and money.
Good luck and look into this soon as propane can surprise you .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #3

Re: Propane Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
Rob, All ASME type tanks utilize a valve that contains an (O RING) These valve's must never be more than hand tight , possible problem may have been over tightend by the last person filling the tank for you resulting in a compressed O RING , these O RINGS are also sensitive to dust, dirt and moisture . Have you done a liquid soap test at the valve ? to insure that you don't have any leakage at this location . If you overfilled the tank and subjected the system to freezing temperatures it could also be the cause of a damaged O RING . I have seen on more than one occasion Propane Dealers using Channel Locks to shut the valve off prior to filling which should never , never be done (Hand Tight Only) damaging the O RING .
If you have an RV dealer close to you it should be an easy fix . I had
Camping World 800 626-5944 replace 1 tank and 1 valve after a very torturous trip to Punta Pequena point's South in search of Wave's and Fish. I was obliged to have them air ship into La Paz , a lot wasted time and money.
Good luck and look into this soon as propane can surprise you .
Greggde
Thanks Greggde. We frequently travel between sunny SoCal and the Sierras with temps below 20deg. So freezing temps may have caused the problem as you suggest. I was not aware of Camping World, but see that they have a service center about 20 miles from my home. I'll likely be paying them a visit in the near future.
Rob
Old 02-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #4

Propane Valve

EMRIDER ,
If you are in Pasadena you could also go to BENLO Co.
15633 Arrow Highway
Irwindale , Ca. 91706
Phone (626) 337 - 7279
This is a very old and personable company who I have used for 30 plus year's . They have a very good understanding of all matters concerning the accessories used in our Vans and usually the person that you discuss your needs to is often times the person who will do the repair . Their prices are very fair and I have enjoyed great success with their work . I am in Azusa so it is more convenient at times to run down without the hassle of the cross town traffic .
PS if you spend much time on the trails/dirt roads , then periodically blow all of the Alkali Dust off of and out of your Propane Compartment .
Good luck Greggde
Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #5

Re: Propane Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
EMRIDER ,
If you are in Pasadena you could also go to BENLO Co.
15633 Arrow Highway
Irwindale , Ca. 91706
Phone (626) 337 - 7279
This is a very old and personable company who I have used for 30 plus year's . They have a very good understanding of all matters concerning the accessories used in our Vans and usually the person that you discuss your needs to is often times the person who will do the repair . Their prices are very fair and I have enjoyed great success with their work . I am in Azusa so it is more convenient at times to run down without the hassle of the cross town traffic .
PS if you spend much time on the trails/dirt roads , then periodically blow all of the Alkali Dust off of and out of your Propane Compartment .
Good luck Greggde
Thanks very much for the recommendation. We store our SMB at Mt. Olive and BENLO is very close. I'll give them a try.
Rob
Old 02-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #6

Storage yard

Rob,
perfect location and they sell Propane as well .
Greggde