Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2019, 08:18 PM   #11

Boywonder, I was re-reading your post and can't exactly visualize what you are describing in this sentance:
"I put a triple layer of butyl tape in the front channels before screwing down the plywood strips. Two squares in each channel then the continual running tape across the front....my have been even more layers..it's been a while."

CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDACamper View Post
Boywonder, I was re-reading your post and can't exactly visualize what you are describing in this sentance:
"I put a triple layer of butyl tape in the front channels before screwing down the plywood strips. Two squares in each channel then the continual running tape across the front....my have been even more layers..it's been a while."

The gooey black stuff between the canvas and van roof is 2" wide butyl tape.
Butyl rubber is uncured/unvulcanized rubber..that's why it's gooey...and seals really well.

Butyl tape is available from Mcmaster carr (and I'm sure other places).

The channels in the front of the van roof need to be "built-up" with squares of butyl tape to allow the top layer of tape to be flat..before screwing down the plywood strips that retain the canvas to the roof.

It take multiple layers of butyl in the channels to build them up enough to get a flat layer of butyl to fasten the plywood strips to....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #13

This tape is a band-aid.
Read through the two threads (one embedded in the other) for a better context of what happens over time with rust. If you're in the desert maybe OK but any where humid, I'd stay away from using it.

Rhino Liner, LineX are the way to go.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post216033
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #14

Garage
SMB didn't see fit to lay down the butyl tape in the manner you describe on my van.
This resulted in gaps between the sheet metal and the seal. Water got in and over time rotted the unfinished plywood battens and the tent fabric at the corners.
Note the daylight under the weather stripping center frame.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0307 butyl failure.jpg   IMG_0305(1) Daylight.jpg  
Old 12-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #15

A long time ago... maybe 18 years or so, I bought some stainless steel tape with adhesive backing and use it where the top on our 2000 PSD RB50 had some rubbing and paint loss. It is hard to apply as it does not stretch at all so you need to make the long runs and have a helper so it is exactly how you want it. Other pieces need to be carefully cut and applied. No sharp corners as they come unglued. All pieces need nice rounded corners. But if you do that, the interface between the top and the tape is very nice. The tape just gets real polished like chrome. If you use it, buy a box of band aids since the cut stainless steel tape is VERY SHARP. But it works well. I still have a half a roll. I think it is about 2 inches wide.
Mike Wilson
Mike Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:16 PM   #16

Second try....
I bought some stainless steel adhesive back tape a long time ago for my Sportsmobile. This was about 18 years ago. The paint was rubbing through due to pop top rubbing. The roll of tape (about 2 inches wide) is great but you need be careful. It is VERY sharp so buy some band aids. Also make all cuts so the corners are not sharp as they may want to peel up. Best to pre-bend the pieces so it does not want to pull against the adhesive and pull off. The pieces need to be flat before you remove the backing and apply. After nearly 20 years, the tape is still there and polished like chrome. Working great. Just take your time and put it on nicely and it will LAST and no more worry about rust or loss of paint. Mike Wilson
Mike Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:53 AM   #17

Just a thought! Has anyone tried the aluminum ducting tape for HVAC. That stuff sticks like there is no tomorrow!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #18

Sticks like crazy. Wears like crap. This application needs a tough surface that won't abrade the rubber penthouse seal.

Gorilla glue makes duct tape...
Old 12-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #19

The paint on the rooftop wore thru after only 4000 mi on my new Transit SMB. I complained to SMB and they sent me a roll of their tape. But after reading reports of rust forming under the tape I decided to have a commercial outfit spray a strip of pickup truck bed liner all around the PH. The spray on bed liner looks great after 2 years.
johnolden is offline   Reply With Quote