Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2019, 09:48 PM   #1

Protective Tape on Roof for Penthouse

Someone mentioned in a prior post that it was a good thing if there was protective tape on the roof where the penthouse touches the roof. The paint on my roof is rubbed off (not rusting yet) and I'm planning to prime and paint the spots. I would like to add protective tape and wondering if anyone is aware of a product that works well for this application. I know that there is the clear chip guard that you can buy for the front of cars to protect from rock chips, but not sure this would be heavy duty enough. What are you all using?

Also, I am considering adding an adhesive foam weatherstrip to the roof where the front of the penthouse touches the roof to help provide a better seal in this location. The seal is poor in this area particularly because the roof of the van has recessed areas leaving a 1/4"+ gap in the recessed areas. Has anyone been successful with a way to seal this better?

CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:36 AM   #2

Sportsmobile uses Avery UHB (Ultra high bond) tape, and they sell in online for $70/roll.

If you find it somewhere else please let us know.

It's thick plastic (likely polyethylene or polypropylene). Unfortunately it does last super long across the front of the roof..at least for me. The short pieces between the channels tend to lift over time. The long strips down the sides and across the back have been on there for 5 years.

If you are considering foam tape across the front, make sure it's closed cell. If it's open cell foam it will retain water.....probably not a good idea.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #3

Garage
I am facing the same problem. I need to fill the channels in the roof top before before putting down a mating surface for the pop top gasket.
The pictures on the SMB Store site don't show any tape in the channels.
The SMB Store site:
https://www.sportsmobilestore.com/pe...otective-tape/
The Avery web site:
https://tapes.averydennison.com/na/en/home.html
A bit confusing to navigate.
What have folks used to level out the van roof across the sheet metal in the front?
Old 12-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #4

Garage
My van has tape in the channels. The front is not leveled.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #5

I had the same problem and painted it with lots of layer of RP ground and color. Than added protection tape. This all last 1 year (excesive offroad in heat in africa).

Than i just painted the area where the top touches the roof with 2 layers of rhino (something similar i got in south africa)
This now is perfect and will last forever i guess
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #6

Garage
The channels in the roof are what allowed water to get under the top while driving in the rain. This led to water getting under the weather stripping seal for the canvas to roof joint. The result was rotted plywood battens and canvas. Once I fix the battens and canvas I would like to eliminate the root cause of the problem. The rubber seal attached to the pop top does not seal into the roof channels in the sheet metal.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0315 van roof.jpg  
Old 12-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahamby View Post
The channels in the roof are what allowed water to get under the top while driving in the rain. This led to water getting under the weather stripping seal for the canvas to roof joint. The result was rotted plywood battens and canvas. Once I fix the battens and canvas I would like to eliminate the root cause of the problem. The rubber seal attached to the pop top does not seal into the roof channels in the sheet metal.

i filled the channels with aluminium and sikka
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #8

Garage
I was thinking PVC board and 3M 5200 but the effect is the same.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:04 PM   #9

When I did my penthouse top transplant, I put a triple layer of butyl tape in the front channels before screwing down the plywood strips. Two squares in each channel then the continual running tape across the front....my have been even more layers..it's been a while.

This is how SMB does it as well.

When it rains the water can get back to the butyl and the outside of the canvas.....but that hasn't (and shouldn't) cause the plywood strips to rot...it's been at least 5 years.

For the wood to get wet/rot you have to have a leak somewhere. I would have a helper spray the hose on the front of the penthouse at the roof line and look for leaks inside..with the top up.

The screws that hold the plywood to the roof shouldn't be rusty either...these are all signs that the butyl tape is leaking somewhere.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #10

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I'm on the right track with filling the channels. I will see what I can come up with and report back with what I end up doing. I like boywonder's filling the channels then running tape over the top of it all. Hopefully some others will chime in with what they have tried.
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote