Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuff View Post
My wife and I are looking for dual twin beds in the rear, full wet bath, galley, and a third, forward facing, seat belted captains chair (so our daughter can ride along with us).
dhuff,

Suggest you read TomH’s build thread and look closely at the bed layout he is planning to use. You say your wife is short, my guess is that if that is the case you may not need the flarespace additions to gain the extra length.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ild-19093.html

Also, a third captains chair with a seatbelt for your passenger can be accommodated. Snowy did this, look to posts #46 & #111 in his build thread for details. He also travels with three and he will have some good ideas for you.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-16760-12.html

Most all of your questions have been answered previously and most all of what you want can be done. Because the Ford Econoline platform has been phased out and because most of the newer documented build threads here are Sprinters (consider this another call for a dedicated Ford Transit Chassis section), I suggest you start with the Sprinter Chassis section and read the build threads you find there. Following that, the home build section will provide a wealth of information as will all other forum options. There is a lot of information here, spend the time doing the research and then specific questions can be better answered.

These vans and the accompanying builds are expensive, there is no doubt about that. But as with most things, wanting to include “everything” and over-complicating the design will result in issues that must be worked through. Give your use case and your design basis proper thought and what you want can be done in a quality build keeping within a realistically established budget.

Looking forward to seeing your proposed floor plan. With that to start with you can look forward to receiving quality constructive input from all of the other members here.

Fitz

Old 11-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #12

thanks

Thanks for the helpful comments like those from Ned5555 and Fitz. Appreciate the time you took to reply!

As for the sarcasm elsewhere whatever... I'm an IT guy who has been involved with Internet discussion groups since before the web was a thing. No skin off my back if that's what blows your skirt up. I will say that Chumley's experiences are no more, and no less, valid than anyone else's. It's all grist for the mill.
dhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
...As for the sarcasm elsewhere whatever... I'm an IT guy who has been involved with Internet discussion groups since before the web was a thing. No skin off my back if that's what blows your skirt up...
I didn't detect any sarcasm, but with your vast experience with the internet, you should recognize that when a FNG comes into a forum and more or less insults/trashes what brings the forum members together, you may not get the warmest welcome.

Quote:
...Am I doomed to mediocre construction quality and/or old fashioned tech to get something affordable ?

Herb
Old 11-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #14

Garage
dhuff ---

Have you checked into the new very-Sportsmobile-esque builds that Winnebago is starting to kick off?

Their new SMB-styled builds might be limited to only Sprinters at this point, but I coulda sworn the price point is right around where you seem to be aiming for.

There's a thread here on the forum somewhere that's been following the development of this new offering from Winnebago....and it seems (again, if memory serves correctly....) that there were a number of opinions kicked around here that for how nice it looks, and the reported out-the-door price....that people at Sportsmobile are probably paying REALLY close attention to this Winnebago development....

More manufacturer options = more competition = better for the breed....
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:48 PM   #15

No insult intended. The comment was aimed at the RV industry as a whole*, not particularly at Sportsmobile (tho' I asked on this forum specifically due to my interest in the company, and after reading Chumley's experiences).

*OK, maybe not at Advanced RV. They make really nice stuff, but there's no way I can afford it!
dhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:00 PM   #16

Just the "RV industry"? Why pick on them? I think this issue applies to pretty much all industries.

The way I approached this problem was contract the work I couldn't do and get the other stuff are done "well enough" with an expectation that I've got to dial it in.

So my starting point (my newly delivered van) is only "mostly done" and I'll have to DIY the rest of it. This is ok with me because I wasn't sure how exactly my layout and design decisions were going to work out anyway.

Besides, as most DIYers have discovered, I'll get to make exactly the price/quality/time tradeoffs I care about. That should make me happy. Right?
Pritikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:28 AM   #17

I don't have personal experience with them, but I've seen a few Pleasure Way vans built on the Sprinter platform and they seem to have pretty nice build quality. They are a fairly well-known Class B builder, based in Canada but with plenty of USA dealers.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:44 AM   #18

Metaphor and Jocularity. Two powerful tools for your upcoming build.

EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:55 AM   #19

Garage
dhuff ---
Hey, if by chance we haven't run you off of here....

....here's a link to one of those brand-new Winnebago 4x4 Sprinter builds that are just going on sale.

-------------------------------------

2018 WINNEBAGO REVEL 44E 4X4 SPRINTER MERCEDES TURBO DIESEL

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Con...sel-5000234347

Very SMB-like / rugged, purposeful outdoor type buildout. Euro-look cabinetry/interior fittings, looks almost German to my eye, it looks like decent quality overall (and it sounds like Winnebago enjoys a bettter-than-most reputation for their builds.)

Listed here at an $134k MSRP, but the ad also states "call for our price."

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
dhuff ---
Hey, if by chance we haven't run you off of here....

....here's a link to one of those brand-new Winnebago 4x4 Sprinter builds that are just going on sale.

2018 WINNEBAGO REVEL 44E 4X4 SPRINTER MERCEDES TURBO DIESEL

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Con...sel-5000234347

Very SMB-like / rugged, purposeful outdoor type buildout. Euro-look cabinetry/interior fittings, looks almost German to my eye, it looks like decent quality overall (and it sounds like Winnebago enjoys a bettter-than-most reputation for their builds.)

Listed here at an $134k MSRP, but the ad also states "call for our price."

IIRC a loaded Revel can be had, new, for $100,000

That is the lowest I SAE Revels going for.

For a lot of people who want a turn key solution it will be great for them.

And

Interesting thread.

John.
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote