Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #1

Questions about buying Ford E350 (EB) to convert

I am planning to buy a slightly used 2007 or 2008 Ford E350(EB) for conversion to a 4x4 camper. I am hoping to obtain some advice from this group. First, for purposes of having it converted to 4x4, either by Quigley or Sportsmobile, is there an advantage to buying the 2007 compared to the 2008? I realize both can be converted, but did not know if there was an advantage to converting the older version versus the newer one. Second, for the camper conversion, if I buy a passenger van with side windows (as opposed to a cargo van with no side windows), are there disadvantages in doing the conversion so long as you avoid high cabinets? My sense is that a cargo van is better and would be easier to convert. But I am finding there are many more used passenger vans available (in the EB), so was hoping to hear from anyone here who has a converted passenger van and whether the extra side windows interfered with the conversion. Thank you.

JamesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #2

Re: Questions about buying Ford E350 (EB) to convert

There are other companies that do conversions. Take a look at this link. http://www.thundersgarage.com/4x4vc.html. I'm very satisfied with my Quigley conversion. Others may be slightly more capable but there is always trade offs. Quigley is very time tested and well engineered. (And the only Ford authorized conversion.)

I have an 07 EB. IMHO the old style front ends look better. I'd buy a regular length van if I bought one today. They have a lot less rear overhang and look better. They have been making the old style front ends since 1992, so the parts are cheaper to replace. That will effect your insurance rates. Not to mention things like aftermarket bumpers, front hitches are more money than the old style front end.

The engine/transmission combo is more important than the other items 07 vs. 08 present. V10 or diesel, you want the 5R110 tranny. It does not come with the V8.

The newer the van, the more unnecessary things like traction control, tire pressure sensors, etc, may be added. Starting in 08 the 2wd front end has been updated, but all that is replaced when the conversion is done. I think the 08 has bigger rear brakes than the 07. 09 brings a new dashboard.

You can always black out windows where cabinets are installed.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.whitbread
There are other companies that do conversions. Take a look at this link. http://www.thundersgarage.com/4x4vc.html. Quigley is very time tested and well engineered. (And the only Ford authorized conversion.)
I don't think Quigley is the only Ford authorized conversion. Salem-Kroger is and authorized 4wd converter. Probably SMB is and most likely Quadvan also.

Quigley is the only ShipThrough conversion. That means you can order a Quigley conversion from a local Ford dealer, have shipped through Quigley to you local dealer. The other authorized conversions will only have Ford deliver the van to them or a local dealer. The shipment on to you is not tracked or paid for by Ford.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #4

That's the whole point. No one besides Quigley has ship through authorzation or the FMVSS certification.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #5

my 4 wheel conversion was done here in salt lake city:

Advanced 4-wheel Drive....talk to randy.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #6

I purchased an 05 V10,RB 12 pass van last March after much research. I did not want a full conversion. Just a penthouse and 4wd. I only retained the middle 3 person seat. I built a bunk at window height that takes up the entire space behind the seat. Lots of storage beneath the bunk. I added solar (125w) and a National Luna Refer/Freezer just behind the driver seat. It's a 40qt. refer and a 10qt. freezer. I added a solar dedicated 100amp deep cycle battery. It runs the refer continuosly without any charge from the alternator. I will add a slide out galley under the bunk and raise the refer about 10 inches with storage below. I put in a 3/4 plywood floor with marine (loncoin) covering that runs from behind the front seats to the back door.
I bought the pass van because I like to see out 360 degrees. I bought the V10 because it's quiet. I bought an RB because it's easier to park
Quadvan did the 4wd.
Sportsmobile did the penthouse and solar wiring.
Sportsmobile will not add 4wd to a used van and suspect Quigley has some constraints there too. Salem Kroeger will do a used van. Don't know about Advanced 4wd.
Be sure to get an 05 or newer for the upgraded tranny. If you can find one with a tow package it's a very nice option. You can see some pics in my album.
Good luck
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
Site Team

When I talked to SMBw, before I bought our used one, they would do a 4x4 conversion on a used van, provided it was within 2 or 3 model years of the current model year.

Herb
Old 01-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #8

My experience is very similar: passenger van for added visability and rear air conditioning. SMB did the penthouse only for me. I had Advanced 4-wd do their conversion with 45k miles. I think S-K will do it if you have under 20k miles, but i really dont recall.