Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #1

Questions on 2002 SMB RB w/v-10 and 4x4

My wife and I are real close to buying our first SMB. We found one with about 97,000 miles on it. The owners seem real nice and have answered all our questions. They said all the maintenance is up to date. The van shows well but we haven't had the chance to see it in person. My question is this, would any of you have any doubts or concerns with buying a high mileage van? We were hoping for something with about half the miles. We don't seem to able to find one we like with the features we want for the price they are asking. We appreciate all the topics and discussion. It's helped narrow our choices. We plan on keeping the van for many years and are looking to travel extensively. Thanks in advance!

Bob

Old 01-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
Re: Questions on 2002 SMB RB w/v-10 and 4x4

Seeing as you plan on using it extensively, I would keep looking for something with lower miles. You yourself will be putting on a ton of miles if you are like any of us. With the market these days -- one is bound to come that will be in your range. I waited quite a while and got one that fit my budget.

JOe
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #3

Or make sure you're paying a price that reflects the high miles and potential problems if that's what it takes to make you comfortable with the purchase.

Of course people selling around here (CO) insist an 88 Jeep Comanche with 245,000 is "low miles", because, you know, that's less than 13,000 a year. Try to tell them different and well... just one reason I never managed to buy one.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #4

We pulled the trigger and bought it! Went out to Oregon and got it yesterday and drove it home, arriving in Cody a few minutes ago. It's cool as hell and I know I'll have a gah-jillion questions. A hearty thanks to those read and responded to my question. It made us take a good hard look and in the end, it was the money and the options that swayed us. The previous owners are super nice folks who used the van from day one. They took good care of it and the transaction went smooth. I'll post some pics in a day or two. Gotta get a shower and some zzz's.

peace, bob
Old 02-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #5

Congrats!!
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #6

My V10 E350 has 237,000. I still consider is like-new.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #7

Wow!! I hope mine gets close to that!! Thanks for the info. My local mechanic is going to give mine the once over tomorrow. The front end feels "a little loose". For what we paid, I could put a motor, tranny and full suspension underneath it and be money ahead. I'll try and post some pics, if I can figure it out.

regards,
bob
Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #8

Bob, I'm trying to get albums up, in theory it would be better to learn that. For now, when you're writing a post you can use the Upload Attachment below the "Preview/Submit/Save/Cancel" buttons. Once you upload you still have to submit your post. Feel free to experiment in the Test area.