Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #21

Re: Rear pop open windows.

Trim hunt.

Well I hit the other 2 pick a part salvage yards here in
the valley today. I scored 1 drivers side rear pop out
window and both plastic window trims. They are the
darker gray, but as scarce as these things seem to be
I will live with them. It will give my doors a two tone
look. Dark gray on top, light gray on the bottom. The
window I got today is much darker than the set I picked
up earlier this week. Wouldn't mind finding one that matches
the darker window. Let the games begin. Steve.

BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Edit; How do you get the window latch to work through the screen? Well, it sounded good at first.
I have screens, you just put them inside the door trim, put the door trim back and wallah! Small slit and some lazy thread cover the latch.

Strange, my build came with a screen inside the trim.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #23

This weekend I was down in Virginia Beach for a short vacation, and decided to hit the local Pick-n-Pull (much to my wife's delight) to see if they had any vans with pop-out windows. Lo and behold, I found not one, but TWO vans with the rear pop-out windows!

The first set was from an E150 conversion van. I grabbed both rear windows, and also the pop-out window for the small barn door (my van only has the pop-out window on the big barn door). In my rush to get back to the hotel before my wife got too mad at me, I failed to notice that one rear window was tinted, while the other was clear. Not sure why, maybe one was replaced at some point.

The next day I decided to go back and get the other set, which was on a beat-up work van. Both of these were clear, so I figure I can tint both the same color and also do the barn doors the same.

I did grab all the hardware and mounting brackets for all the windows, thanks to the reminders on this thread.

I'll probably put the mis-matched set up on Craigslist. If anyone here is interested in them, let me know. They are in very good condition. I'm in the Philadelphia area. I guess I could ship them, but it would probably be pretty expensive.

Regarding the small plastic spacer some have mentioned here, I noticed that the conversion van did NOT have the spacer, while the cargo van did. My guess is that the spacer is only needed when you don't have the plastic window surrounds; it makes up the space.

If anyone is convenient to Virginia Beach and is doing a self-build, the conversion van I got the windows from also had the plastic window surrounds (in red) and three really nice looking, big side windows with sliders and screens.

I'll try to do an install thread when I get around to putting them in. They came out really easy, so I can't see them being too hard to install.

As an aside, to pull these windows at the junkyard you'll need a 10mm socket for the 8-9 cap-head nuts holding the window frame to the body, a Phillips screwdriver for the three screws holding the latch to the door, and a wide, flat screwdriver or sturdy putty knife to break the mastic seal between the window frame and the door. A small flat blade screwdriver makes it easier to remove the flat mounting plate for the latch on the door, as you have to pry up two small tabs to remove it. (See the photo earlier in this thread.) You may have to remove the door panel to get access to remove the bracket plate, or if you drop it down into the depths of the door like I did with one. Sorry, I should have taken photos but I was rushing.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote