Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #1

rear storage bumper

I have a 2010 Chevy Express EB. Non 4 x 4. I bought a garage sale bike rack and a small truck box and built a nice little outside storage container for my electrical cable, water hose and gray water drain hose. As nice as I think it is it does add some length to the vehicle. Is there such an item as a bumper that has storage compartments built in? I'm just trying to avoid having to access the interior in order to get to my exterior use items. I like my box but like all of us I'm always trying to improve. THANKS!

oldbernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #2

Garage
Re: rear storage bumper

Take a look at Aluminess: http://www.aluminess.com/chevrolet/chev ... ar-bumper/
The bumper itself has about 3 cubic feet of lockable storage space, plus many options for storage boxes. I put my tow straps and various recovery gear into waterproof bags and store them in the bumper.

Steve in L.A.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #3

Thanks Steve. I've looked at the Aluminess but I could never find any pics or info about storage in the bumper itself. Given the space available do you think a standard 30 amp cord and a water hose or 2 will fit in those spaces? Also, if you get just the bumper at first can you add the swing arms later? There's always the possibility that I may persuade the spouse to do a little more stealth camping but that would necessitate a generator.: THANKS
Old 07-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInLA
Take a look at Aluminess: http://www.aluminess.com/chevrolet/chev ... ar-bumper/
The bumper itself has about 3 cubic feet of lockable storage space, plus many options for storage boxes. I put my tow straps and various recovery gear into waterproof bags and store them in the bumper.

Steve in L.A.
Small amount of outside storage in bumper interest me also (to avoid large box on shorter trips), but I can't see where there is 3 cubic feet in the bumper that comes up when I follow the link. Is this the one with storage built in? Did you mean in the bumer itself or in the box that pivots off bumper?

Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #5

Garage

Hopefully these pictures will give you a clearer picture of the storage capacity of the Aluminess rear bumper. This is the Ford version however, so I would check with Aluminess to find out if there is a difference between this and the Chevy version.

I am not sure about adding the swing arms later. Calling Aluminess is your best bet there. They are usually very good about special requests.

Steve in L.A.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #6

Thanks Steve, those pics are perfect. Plenty of room there for what I need and more. I'll call Aluminess as you suggested. Thanks again.

Bernie
Old 07-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbernie
I have a 2010 Chevy Express EB. Non 4 x 4. I bought a garage sale bike rack and a small truck box and built a nice little outside storage container for my electrical cable, water hose and gray water drain hose. As nice as I think it is it does add some length to the vehicle. Is there such an item as a bumper that has storage compartments built in? I'm just trying to avoid having to access the interior in order to get to my exterior use items. I like my box but like all of us I'm always trying to improve. THANKS!
If you don't mind sharing, how big a box did you use? And was the bike rack you used the swing-away type? If you don't mind posting a picture or two I'd love to see what you did. It may give me some ideas.

On longer trips I sometimes use a dual-hitch cargo tray with a fairly large plastic box (maybe 10 cubic feet -- not sure) to carry outside-type stuff, tools, and a couple of lawn chairs. However, I've been thinking of building a swing-away (or pull straight back) attachment, or else install a lower-profile box that will allow rear doors to open over the box (similar to bumper storage but full length for longer items). I don't need a box as large as the one I have now but would like it to be much longer.

Bumper storage seemed like a great idea but it's not quite large enough for my needs.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #8

I'm on the road at the moment unfortunately NOT in the Sportsmobile so I'll have to guess a little. The box is about 24" x 24" X 8'. Big enough for the 30 amp electrical cord, the water hose and a couple of stabilizers. The rack does swing down so that I can open the rear doors.
I contacted Aluminess and they gave me the following dimensions:

The size of the box is 37.5" wide x 6" front to back (at the smallest part) x 7.75" tall. The door opening is 24" x 7".
When I get back in a couple of weeks I'll mock it up to see how it works.