Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #11

Re: Removing Penthouse

I started this project yesterday and it kind of went okay. The new bars didn't exactly 'slide' into the U tubes. I ended up taking the rear bar out of the van in order to be able to hammer the pieces in. I got those 2 in and called it a day. I had the U tubes pretty staight but the new bars fit so tightly. I used some grease to help but I don't think it did much. I think the main problem was the seam in the U tubes made the clearance too tight. I'm hoping the front tube will go a little better now that I know what I'm in for. I will take that one all the way out of the van also and hopefully fix a water leak from the top when I put it back together.

BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #12

Buffalo: Are your new tubes seamed or DOM (drawn over mandrel-seamless)?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #13

The new tubes I hammered in are DOM. The SMB U tubes have seams.
The new ones are 3/4 inch and appear to have enough clearance to easily slide in. I think the friction is from the seams on the SMB ones? Did you have that issue also? Any tips or advice for the other 2 I have to do still?
Old 03-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #14

My tubes went in rather easily, no grease/hammering required......although my SMB tubes appeared to be straight......can you put a straightedge on your SMB tubes to verify that they are straight?
2003 Honda Element
Old 03-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #15

I did get them pretty straight before I tried. One of the new tubes slipped in maybe 10 inches or so and then it got tight. So even then it wasn't to the middle where the bends were. I even tried filing down the inner edges of the drill holes for the bolts before I tried.
I guess for the next one I will just double check that it is as straight as can be. I'll find something to use as a straight edge.
I'm just not looking forward to all that hammering again! I cut the new bars to 56 inches and ended up cutting off about 1 inch from the end where it was mushroomed.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #16

This thread is scaring me, since I now have a heavy rooftop box and rack on my top, and I recently cinched out four links. SMB Indiana told me 4 was ok but no more without additional strengthening. Also, it's a bear to lift, but I plan to rarely if ever attempt it with all of that stuff in my box. I usually pull out stove, chairs, and sleeping bags first. Anyway, I wonder if very many people have bent penthouse bars and how exactly?

Sorry for the distraction. Intriguing stuff though.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #17

After having it all apart now, it is kind of scary. It all relies on those little pivot bolts and the same size bolts at the ends of the U tubes. Definitely want the stongest ones you can get.
I'm not sure how mine originally got bent. I got the van and the rear tube had a bend in it. The van came from Alaska so my guess is snow. After I straighened it, it bent again from just use. The only thing on the roof is a small solar panel and it is all the way at the front of the top.
I'm glad you mentioned 4 links though. I had taken out 2 before and have been wanting to try for more. So when it goes back together I think I will try 3 first but probably go to 4. I would like a roof box up there also.
I will also either be buying or making the 4 corner supports for when the top is up.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO
I will also either be buying or making the 4 corner supports for when the top is up.
It's not very pretty, but I just used two 2x4's. I think they are right at 30" long. I put one on each side right in the middle instead of at each corner and it feels pretty good and stable that way. I have noticed even with the 'regular' stuff pulled out of my box it is still really hard to lift. I was surprised after 4 links and also adding 3/4" blocks to the lift assist springs in the rear.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO
After having it all apart now, it is kind of scary. It all relies on those little pivot bolts and the same size bolts at the ends of the U tubes. Definitely want the stongest ones you can get.

While you have it apart, you may want to consider going to 5/16" dia shoulder screws for the various pivots. It's a big improvement in many ways over the stock SMB 1/4-20 bolts.
2003 Honda Element
Old 03-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #20

Thanks guys! I will for sure get the larger bolts you guys have mentioned before and the 2x4's are a good idea too!