Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #1

Renting a SMB in May?

We're visiting SMB west the second week of May to see our van and are planning to hit Kings Canyon and Death Valley while we are there. Is there any kind soul that would let us rent their sportsmobile for the week? Before we plunk six figures down it'd be nice to at least ride in one! I just figured I would throw that out there and see- just lmk!

tomesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #2

Re: Renting a SMB in May?

Curious - what would you rent your $100k SMB for (after you get it of course)?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Within a few months of owning my new SMB, the rear J-hook hung up and I bent the molly lift bars...I learned a lesson. Later I left a pan on my countertop and within a few miles I had a scratched counter top...I learned a lesson. The list goes on; all of our vans are complicated and because most of em are so different there's no set instruction manual. The liability would be huge. But that’s just me and you might find somebody with an older rig that would be willing to turn a profit…who knows. Maybe you can meet up with someone camping and take a ride like Andrew did at last years Ca Meet. This years meet is scheduled around may 15th but if it happens it's supposed to be up in Nor-Cal

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #4

I would highly recommend attending the Overland Expo next weekend in Tucson. There will be 10 - 20 Sportsmobiles there. At least 6 of them will be 2008 or newer. I am going this year, and I attended last year.

I was able to see, tour, crawl around, talk to owners, talk to Sportsmobile West owner, Alan Feld, and drive a SMB both on and off road. After I left the Expo, I ordered my Sportsmobile and knew exactly what I wanted and why.

I don't think there is a better place to get the "lay of the land" then at the expo.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:17 AM   #5

It didn't hurt to ask though! I'll see plenty during the SMB tour I'd say. My wife has seen several but I have yet to- only hundreds of pics shown here. Can't wait to see them
tomesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsurfer
I would highly recommend attending the Overland Expo next weekend in Tucson. There will be 10 - 20 Sportsmobiles there. At least 6 of them will be 2008 or newer. I am going this year, and I attended last year.
Well I'm sure glad I read this post. I just happen to be doing some work in Tucson and will be off that whole weekend. Add one more SMB to the count...This oughta be fun!

Ric
Old 04-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Heck I dont even let my wife drive mine and she paid for it. {SHHH dont tell her i said that)

Ron
Old 04-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

tomesd,

At the least, you can feel how an 4x4 SMB drives on the street, once you go to SMB west for a visit. I'm quite sure that SMB west has a Rig for you to take out for a "test drive". Good luck.

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #9

I had the same question last year, I ended up renting a full size RV, but you can find some class B campers to rent.
One owner offered to rent me his but I seen that in the meantime, he decided to sell it.

Maybe of interest:
http://www.escapecampervans.com/

Andrew
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #10

I'm reluctant to add to this thread because I certainly wouldn't "rent" our 2008 Itasca Navion to just anyone. That said, my wife and I are thinking of selling our Navion and buying a Sprinter-based Sportsmobile (we're empty-nesters now), and I can't think of a better way to determine whether buying a Class B would increase the chances of future divorce proceedings than to try one out for a night or two.

We live in Moraga (SF Bay Area), and given the liability issues, I was wondering whether any local owners of a fully-outfitted Sportsmobile, preferably Sprinter-based, would be amenable to meeting at a nearby state or RV park some weekend and switching rigs for a night. That way, there would be no driving issues, but we would still get the experience, and meet a couple of nice Sportsmobile owners to boot!

We'd love to hear from anyone who may be interested. Thanks!

Will Robinson
WillRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote