Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #1

Response from Sportsmobile

This is the response I received from Sportsmobile today in email.

Thanks Jage for helping post this.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/hos...%20ROUTING.doc

Old 12-19-2008, 06:19 AM   #2
Site Team

A few observations:

1) Are only people who have called Sportsmobile getting an e-mail identifying the problem and the solution? There are many people like me who are aware of this problem, due to this forum, but rather than call Sportsmobile, we've been patiently waiting for Sportsmobile's position. Since I have not callled Sportsmobile, do I not get notified of the problem and the solution?

1a) There is no corresponding Service Bulletin on Sportsmobile.com's website. I would hope that gets remedied soon.

2) The solution that Sportsmobile provided, and that was subsequently posted in this topic, does not mention anything about removing the restrictor plate in the filter head, as Jim from Amsoil recommends. Seems we still do not have a comprehensive position / solution from Sportsmobile. (see link below, with the post made by jcgreatoil)

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewto ... 8&start=75

3) Based upon the posted Sportsmobile "solution" I guess we're on our own for filters, labor, and an oil analysis to perform the change-out?

Herb
Old 12-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ
I received the letter from the Sportsmobile office. Seemed like an unofficial unsigned document. Looked more like work instructions that the mechanic should have had for the original install

As for the customer service part I had theses questions.

"Who is this letter from?
What were the types and parameters of tests that were run?
Who ran the tests and what were the actual results of all testing that was performed?
I just recently replaced my filters, should I run the system in the backwards configuration that long? Approximately another 6000 miles?
Can you please recommend a qualified repair shop in the San Bernardino area where the necessary repairs could be completed?
Could I take it to a Ford dealership? "

Is Sportsmobile West taking full responsibility for this error?
Thank you for the letter.

I will be happy to share the response, when I receive it.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:22 AM   #4

It seems that SMB is very selective about thier service bulletins. A couple years ago on a trip through Baja my van melted its shock bushing and one of the rear shocks broke off and punched a hole in the floor of the van. When I returned (after a very bouncy ride home) I contacted SMB. The response from Alan was that they had had that problem with a number of vans and had changed the rear shock bushings. They sent me new shocks and bushing. I asked why there was no service bulletin on this. I was told that not enough vehicles were effected by this deffect to warrant a bulletin. Say what??????????????????????? If I had known I could have prevented having to remove a large portion of my interior to repair a hole in the floor. Here is that thread http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...ht=rear+shocks

While I am on this subject let me voice another complaint. I would be really nice if this forum could be kept a little neater in regard to this. Finding information on common issues easily would be helpfull to SMB owners. The amsiol thread is in the general/technical. Jeffrey started a very helpful thread on issues that he has been having with the espar. I suggested a stickey. I would be really nice if the moderators could identify the threads that would be helpfull and put them in "known Issues" sections with a stickey.

Happy Friday!
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
Site Team

I think that's a very good idea Seth, but I would personally prefer to wait until we had a Known Issue and a Known Resolution that we could post as one entry, and then lock it down.

I do think the Amsoil issue is sticky now, but I agree the issue and (pending) resolution of that sticky have gotten a little cluttered with comments, gripes,... I'm guilty of it myself.

Herb
Old 12-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #6

Garage
Why would Amsoil instruct us to disable a checkvalve under a filter? What relationship does that have to simply switching the hoses and changing filters? I don't get it. I imagine SMB doesn't either.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #7
CJ

In an earlier post I indicated that I had sent a message to Sportsmobile West asking a few questions that IMHO needed to be answered.

I am pleased to share with the forum that all the questions I had were answered to my satisfaction. I would like to Thank Sportsmobile West's Alan Feld for the reply and standing behind the SMB owners. I would also like to thank Johnathan for the unsolicited response to a prior post of mine on this same subject.

I fully understand the 4x4 SMB and its associated systems is a complex Vehicle. I expected there would be components and subsystems that would be problematic and might even fail. However I also expected that SMB West was controlling their manufacturing/assembly processes to eliminate all failures of this most recent type.

I have high expectations when it comes to the quality of the products that I purchase and the resultant customer service that I also expect when the uncontrollable happens. It has happened and I am happy to say that in most cases Sportsmobile West has met or exceeded those expectations.

The AMS OIL problem however was not an uncontrollable failure due to complexity or design; it was IMHO a pure lack of process controls in the shop and therefore needed to be corrected by SMB at no cost.

Thank you Mr.Feld and Sportsmobile West for doing just that.

Thank you Jim at AMS oil for your follow up.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ
I will be happy to share the response, when I receive it.
Soooo, what was the response?
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:17 PM   #9
CJ

The letter came from Sportsmobile and is now on the Sportsmobile Web Site under “Service Bulletins”.

The oil analysis was preformed and reviewed by Amsoil and if you would like the technical parameters and analysis of the results, you will want to contact Jim at Amsoil, he will be able to explain what testing was done and the results. His email is jcgreatestoil@msn.com and his phone number is 800-709-2516.

From the analysis, there is no problem with waiting until your next scheduled filter change to switch the lines. If you do want to switch them sooner, just make sure you replace the filters at that time. It is a great idea to send in your oil for analysis. Another customer had an analysis done and it revealed a problem with the motor. This was completely unrelated to the filters, but may have saved him from a major problem in the future

Any mechanic can make the change.

Sportsmobile has some level of responsibility for every van that is on the road. We take great pride in our product and will address any issue that may arise. There are obviously many components that we use that are not designed by our engineers and we are not oil analysis engineers. For this reason, I am referring you to Amsoil. The remote filtration system is their expertise and we rely on them for design, installation instruction, and analysis of their products. This system was designed on a customer’s vehicle by AMS Oil. We took AMS Oil’s design and installation and followed them using the first vehicle they did as a guideline. Unfortunately, the first system done by AMS Oil was setup incorrectly. Since SMB has done the installation of this system, we will be compensating any customers for the labor costs incurred from doing the line swap. We will pay for up to a ½ hour of labor that is involved in doing the change. We will ask for the service receipt for reimbursement of this cost.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #10
Site Team

What about the issue of whether we're supposed to remove the restrictor plate, as recommended by (Amsoil) Jim?

BTW, I'm very encouraged to see a corresponding Service Bulletin posted.

Herb