Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2009, 12:40 AM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Rodent defense?

I also heard about the rat zapper a couple of years ago. I also heard about the Bounce sheets on the Owners Group. If it works I'm there. I finally got rid of the mice with humane traps; they worked better than the sticky traps overall. Rats can't fit into them though and not all sticky traps are not equal.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:06 AM   #12

Hands down this works 100% i know from past experience... you need the shedding of a large snake boa... you can get them from any pet shop for free. ask them to save it for ya. dont wash it!!!! it doesnt smell to us but to mice/rats when they smell it instantly they stop with fear and look to get out of there asap. i had a boa for over 25 yrs( shes still alive) and found that when feeding, the rats would drop in the cage and smell a shed and either run other way or die of a heart attack. its natural ,safe, and works like a charm... but tear it up and put pieces every where out of ur site, esp up high as they tender to go up to get away from snake. works 100% good luck,mike.
mad57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad57
Hands down this works 100% i know from past experience... you need the shedding of a large snake boa... you can get them from any pet shop for free. ask them to save it for ya. dont wash it!!!! it doesnt smell to us but to mice/rats when they smell it instantly they stop with fear and look to get out of there asap. i had a boa for over 25 yrs( shes still alive) and found that when feeding, the rats would drop in the cage and smell a shed and either run other way or die of a heart attack. its natural ,safe, and works like a charm... but tear it up and put pieces every where out of ur site, esp up high as they tender to go up to get away from snake. works 100% good luck,mike.
Now that is a creative idea and one that seems to make perfect sense. If my other tactics fail (will find out this weekend), I will give that a try. Thanks
R
Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Better yet, just put a 12 or 15 foot python in the SMB, and that should take care of the human rodents as well.
Bill
Old 09-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #15

We have a serious rodent problem here in the mountains of New Mexico. They have disabled our new VW in one evening outside. I have tried using dryer sheets only to have the varmints make a nest out of them (grrr). I tried bobcat scented vials in hopes of deterring them, they chewed up the vils. We had a feral cat for a while and she cleaned up the rodents, but she succumbed to one of the other predators.

The rats, mice, and squirrels have taken up residence in the SMB. I’m using regular snap traps (Victor rat traps) but might move up to the electric ones if they would work better. Shoot the little boogers even gnawed on my transfer case lever…

If I find something that works for me I'll pass it on.

John
'84 VW GTI
and lots of other assorted toys
FunHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #16

i had an uninvited hitch hiker that i picked up in Moab... i can't tell ya how to get rid of them but i do know they come in through the footwells... i saw the little guys make their entrance and escape through there. I'm thinking there must be a way to put some type of mesh liner / screen in there to keep them out...
jeff@work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #17

I've found that using steel wool to plug holes works the best. The little guys don't like to chew the fine wire. I also use the green block poison bait inside the engine compartment and in the van. For some reason the pack rats that get to the poison go outside the van to die. Found one just last week.

Tom.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@work
i had an uninvited hitch hiker that i picked up in Moab... i can't tell ya how to get rid of them but i do know they come in through the footwells... i saw the little guys make their entrance and escape through there. I'm thinking there must be a way to put some type of mesh liner / screen in there to keep them out...
How were they getting in? Was a door open? My van has no holes in the footwells. If it did we would have been eaten by mosquitos in Alaska.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #19

We had a little bastard get in the van near Horseshoe Canyon the other night. Drove me nuts!!!! We need to keep traps in the van for the future.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage

I'm trying to figure if there is a route in I don't know about. In my case Ford left the doghouse off for over a week and the only other time I had a problem was when I left the door open for music. I've seen mice travelling over my running boards several times so I keep the doors closed whenever possible. I put a bright light in the van and crawled under it looking for openings but never found anything. But if there are other ways for these guys to get in that can be plugged, I would like to know. It doesn't take much of a slot for them to get in.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote