Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #1

Rolled my 7.3 non-SMBon Friday - dog ran off in panic - need help finding

So I rolled my 4x4 converted 7.3 e350 on Friday on the way home from camping. Had the whole family in the van including our 2 dogs. We went off the road and down an embankment and then flipped off a small ledge. All that were buckled up were ok. My son was laying down in the rear bench without a belt on, and has a minor compression fracture in a vertebrae.

The van is a Javier van, but I will say it was well built. The frame buckled a few inches behind the radius arm brackets that are part of his conversion. None of the conversion bracketry that was a part of the 4x4 build failed at all from what I could tell, and the steel bumper and roof rack probably contributed to our good fortune in surviving in a terrible roll (flip) over.

Also our black lab bolted from the scene once I got her out of the van, so if anybody is traveling or camping near bayfield, co or pagosa springs, co or traveling through on highway 160 and spots a loose black lab please call la plata county animal control or call me 713.539.9090.

bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #2

Wow. Glad to hear everyone is ok. Way too many stories of vans flipping over recently.

Hope you find your pup and hope your son has a fast recovery.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:55 PM   #3

Dude, I'm sorry to hear it and really sorry to hear your pup bolted. Hopefully there will be a happy ending here.

Keep us posted on your son too.

Welcome to the gang, even if you don't have a van for awhile.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:21 PM   #4

Glad everyone is ok. Sorry about the van but it can be replaced. There is a great thread on Expo about a guy finding his two dogs after months of being lost in cold climate. Post over there on expedition portal as well and you may get some help. I went and looked for the guys dogs for a day with no luck but they turned up at two different places at two different times months later.
Good luck
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #5

Best of luck to your son with the vertebrae fracture. I also hope you find your dog.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #6

Garage
Crap, that sounds like a bad one. Glad everyone is safe. Good luck finding your pup.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:11 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRIDER View Post
...There is a great thread on Expo about a guy finding his two dogs after months of being lost in cold climate.
its amazing how resilient dogs can be. we just had an older dog that was reunited with its owner after 9 months in the woods during the worst winter this area has ever recorded.

Boise dog returned home after missing in mountains near Garden Valley | Idaho Statesman

to the op. sorry to hear about your wreck. best wishes for your sons recovery and your quest to replace your van. really hope you guys have as good of luck getting your dog back as the people in the story above!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #8

Sad about your accident but glad your OK. Those little ones are strong and repair quickly, best wishes.
FXRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #9

The search continues for the dog. Day 6. I have to get back to work next week, so it will be tough driving the 1000 miles home without our beloved pup. Hope she turns up today... pics of the van and dog attached.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3152.jpg   IMG_3162.jpg   IMG_3153.jpg  
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #10
Site Team

Sorry about the van and your dog. Best of luck finding him.

Interesting pics. Was the roof rack removed while the van was still in the ditch?

Herb