Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #81

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
I once read a manual aimed at NGO workers (Peace Corps, etc.) teaching them how to drive on unimproved frontier roads in developing countries. The author noted that in places where he expected to get stuck in sand or mud a lot, he carried a boat anchor. There are ones designed to dig themselves in when pulled horizontally across a loose surface, then to let go when pulled straight upward.
Its called a PullPal and available in the USA. I have one. Never had to use it yet.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #82
Orv

Garage
<i>ORV, curious to see if that boat anchor is actually a "sea" anchor.</i>

Possibly. It's been probably at least a decade since I read that, details have probably escaped me.

He did say it got some very odd looks going through border checkpoints in land-locked countries.
Orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #83

Some people use the Danforth Standard Marine (fluke style) Anchor as a land anchor. Other companies make fluke style anchors as well, but they all seem very lightweight. Most of these marine anchors seem rated at 1000 lb. or less.

There is also the Thrust Off-Road Recovery Anchor and the CQR anchor. The latter of those does not fold up and looks more like a plow that would rip through soil rather than hold fast. The Thrust Ground Anchor does fold up like the Pull-Pal.

Some people just dig a hole and bury the spare tire vertically with a slot going to the wheel center for the cable.

Pull-Pal is owned by Billet4x4. There are four sizes: models 6000, 11000, 14000, and 16000. The model 16000 is the mega-duty version and is rated at 12,000 lb. Pull-Pal is what is typically used by offroaders and is considered the best of all these options, though it is expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/BILLET4X4-Meg...words=pull+pal

https://www.amazon.com/BILLET4X4-PUL...et4x4+Pull-Pal

https://www.amazon.com/PULL-PAL-WINC...et4x4+Pull-Pal

https://www.amazon.com/PULL-PAL-WINC...et4x4+Pull-Pal

https://www.sportsmobilestore.com/pull-pal/

https://www.amazon.com/Danforth-Fluk...rth+anchor+kit

http://www.2040-parts.com/10-000-lb-...000--i1237643/

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/lewma...05_153_002_005

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008YJCCSM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EJANCEM...d-873fcc9bd247

https://www.amazon.com/Lewmar-Claw-A...s=fluke+anchor
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #84

Garage
Maze is a step up from White Rim

Bummer for those guys - Rangers have a pic of a jeep liberty rolled over in almost the same spot - they told him not to go as he wasn't prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Note to self: take the Flint Trail off my to do list.
I did it in my van last year both directions - it's steep and loose but not too bad. I did drop my Diesel Tank - Was dragging just above the ground when we rolled into camp - Lucky to find a bolt that would put it back together...

We went all the way out to the Dolls House & it is tough on vehicles but if you go slow it's 100% doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
I wonder what the rating level was for that particular trail. I know that a 2wd Westphalia once completed the White Rim Road in Canyonlands, but there are some trails in there that are only for rock crawling OHVs.
Maze is a significant step up from WR - although Ive seen video of Westy's way deep in the park.
dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:24 AM   #85

I did the White Rim by bicycle last year and saw a Subaru Outback out there. Not sure if he did the whole loop or was just daytripping. He was around the midpoint though.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #86

So far Bob has not been able to join the forum for unknown reasons. I sent an email to Janet, but never received a reply. For now Bob sent me the following, along with some video I'll try to post in a different reply. Thanks for your time Bob.....................

"So, regarding the Sportsmobile - Canyonlands tip over, I don't have time to run through all the various details, point-by-point. Suffice it to say, we initially worked VERY hard to first "try" various rigging configurations to keep from placing a polyester (low-stretch) winching strap around the top of the vehicle. I didn't want to put stress on the fiberglass pop-up top, as I was afraid we might either tweak it or crack it. The passenger side of a van doesn't really have the "normal" or "strong" B-Pillar from which to connect the strap high enough near the roof from which to pull the vehicle up and on to it's tires. On a non-van vehicle, this is generally where you'd attach a strap or winch line to right the vehicle. If the vehicle has a roll bar or robust roof rack (think Kargo Master Safari) near the roof, this is better place to connect the winching strap.

After multiple attempts to NOT put a strap around the top of the vehicle (over solar panels and roof-top carrier), we were unsuccessful at obtaining the higher leverage needed to upright the van. I sensed from the outset that we would NOT be successful with these attempts, but I wanted to exhaust the options. We had the time. We tried to attach to the top of the passenger side of his Aluminess bumper tubing. But that didn't give us the leverage we needed. Other attachment points and winch-rigging were tried; all not successful.

The basic winch rigging for all these tries was as follows:

1) My Power Wagon was in front of the van, I had to turn it around on the trail (this was very hard - narrow trail) and point my front bumper/winch at the van - we used my winch to right the van; 2) We took my winch rope up high on the trail's downslope and fixed a tree strap around a stout juniper tree at it's root base; 3) we ran my winch rope through a pulley block for a "change of direction" down to the van; 4) we placed a MaxTrax under the winch rope near the pulley block so the rope would not rub on the rock; 5) we had two vehicles behind the van (Wrangler and Tacoma) - we used both of these vehicles to daisy-chain with polyester straps to the van to act as anchor points. These two vehicles had their tires chocked, parking brake on, engine running, foot brake on hard, and ready to put the vehicles in reverse if needed to hold the van. We did not want the van to roll away once up on it's rubber (you HAVE to think ahead). It was this winch-rigging configuration that allowed us to connect my winch to the various points we tried in the recovery.

Once we exhausted all possible connection points, other than putting a strap around the top of the van, we then needed to route a wide strap over the top of the roof (at the strongest location we could find) down the driver-side of the van, and around the bottom to connect to the driver's side frame - under the vehicle. I liked putting the strap near the rear of the van's top for leverage and strength. The wide strap (other than a thin winch rope) was important as it spread out the stress on the van's fiberglass top.

Once the van was righted, we noticed we did absolutely NO damage to the pop-up top on the van. It was perfect. The van suffered NO broken glass; not even the mirror on the driver's side. All the van had was a small dent in the pinch weld below the pop-up top. The van was resting nicely on the driver's side ladder. A miracle - even if I'd planned a tip over, I could not have set it on its side more perfectly.

Lessons to be learned: 1) Carry extra fuel. The van was the only diesel vehicle in the group, but he carried no extra diesel. He dumped all his fuel onto the trail. (Had to drive all the way to Green River, UT to get fuel cans and diesel; then return to vehicle parked at end of trail, so others could pass). 2) GET a darn winch for your vehicle - this person did NOT have one. Had he been solo, he would have walked out to get help. 3) When you drive up high on a downslope, you CAN tip over. The maneuver to remedy the possible tip over is NOT to brake, but to steer quickly down hill and accelerate a bit. There are other lessons, but these are the generic items.

Hat tip to the fine team of overlanders that were with me on this trip. Everyone pitched in the recover this van. We followed my "STOPA - Stuck Assessment and Recovery Plan Checklist" I give all my students. This is a methodical and mature approach to organizing a recovery. STOP, THINK, OBSERVE, PLAN, and then ACT. If anyone wants this assessment or checklist, email me at bob.wohlers@discoveroffroading.com. I'll send you a PDF for your glovebox."

NOTE: Interested in learning more about vehicle-supported adventures?
my website: https://discoveroffroading.com

LIVE ADVENTUROUSLY,

Bob Wohlers

bob.wohlers@discoveroffroading.com

www.discoveroffroading.com

Owner - Instructor

Blue Sky Adventures, Inc.

DBA: Off-Road Safety Academy

704 East Evans Reimer Road

Gridley, CA 95948

909.844.BLUE (2583)
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #87

Garage
thanks for posting artic. that's very interesting to read. wish I could have been there to watch this van get uprighted. im sure it would have been pretty informative to see.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:07 PM   #88

Thanks for that great report. I am very sorry you have not been able to join and post.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:37 PM   #89

Interesting part on what to do if you get tippy driving up the high side on a downhill. My first instinct would be to brake and back up. Quickly turning downhill and accelerating does make sense.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:41 PM   #90

Garage
Great report and the perfect man for the job. To bad there was no one available to video the recovery. The question remains, was this on the Flint Road switchbacks in Canyonlands?