Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #1

Rolled over SMB in Canyon Lands?

While at the B.C. Overland rally, one of the trainers (Bob) was giving a class on Heavy vehicle recovery and explained that his 80 / 20 rule means you will likely use your recovery gear 80% of the time on other people. He then related that he recently was called upon to assist in the recovery of a SMB that had rolled on it's side in Canyon Lands NP. That left me with several questions such as, was that anyone here? How do you minimize additional damage when up-righting a rolled over van, and what might have caused said accident? Unfortunately, I never got the chance to ask him as he was really busy teaching back to back classes. So, anyone know about this?

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #2

I was hoping for pictures....
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #3

I saw a photo someplace but cannot remember where it was.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:50 PM   #4

He told the same story at the NW overland ralley but again he was too busy to ask the details.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #5

I've done many vehicle rollovers, and all without causing additional damage. A few key things to do:

1) place 4x4s or rocks or other chocks where the rig is going to land when it's uprighted. There's plenty or horror videos on YouTube where the rescued rig rolled away as soon as it was upright, sometimes taking the rescuing vehicle with it.

2) Get close and do a low-pull. You want as much down-angle as possible while keeping the winching rig out of the way. This allows the rolled vehicle to come back over without sliding. Most extra damaged I've was from from doing a horizontal pull, which often just drags the rolled vehicle around.

3) If its on its roof, use a "pogo stick" to elevated the winch-line above the chassis 3 or 4 feet. You want the pogo on the near side of the chassis to the winching vehicle. I used PVC pipe but 4x4s work great too. This again ensures some of the pull is translated into downforce. As a bonus, this lets you rig to the far side of the chassis, so you don't have to re-set your winchline once it's on its side.

4) Rig to hard points, ie. use chokers around the frame or cross-members or control arms.. This is not the time to use hooks through holes, since a hook ripping out could cause a worse rollover. Also rig to both ends of the rolled vehicle using 2 points, so the winch-line is stable, and it won't try to spin the vehicle.

Finally... If you don't know the victim well, don't try it. Good Samaritan laws cover medical first responders, not road recoveries. If you touch it, and it breaks, you could be on the hook for the additional damages...
Old 07-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #6

Good info, thanks.
adventurevan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #7

Have a friend from Sedona that reported what sounds like same story a couple weeks back. His neighbor has a 4X4 SMB diesel that went to Canyonlands, the Maze area, and rolled it 100 miles in spilling 30gal fuel (100 years of ouch)...Other 3 rigs got him righted. He stated it is going thru a very expensive repair....
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #8

I wonder if this is it? Photo from Facebook 4 X 4 van page.
Attached Thumbnails
rolled smb.jpg  
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:29 PM   #9

That's gonna be an expensive driving lesson.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:10 PM   #10

Rolled over SMB in Canyon Lands?

[QUOTE=rallypanam;232597]That's gonna be an expensive driving lesson.[/

Wonder if Bill Burke’s class teaches recovery of this type.
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote