Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #1

Roof Rack/Ladder Recommendations?

So the time has come. Picking up my 99, 4x4, 7.3, E350 full camper on Friday. I need to get a roof rack put on and also a ladder for my gear box. What are some good racks that are compatible with the SMB pop top? Also any recommendation on reasonably priced ladders and also fender flares?

Old 12-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #2

Re: Roof Rack/Ladder Recommendations?

For a poptop you need lightweight. Aluminess if pretty much the go-to company for van ladders and roof racks.

Or if you want something more custom, there is also http://www.recretec.com/ They don't advertise roof racks, but he does build them and does an amazing job. It will cost more than Aluminess though.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #3

reasonable according to whom (who?)?

Aluminess ftw for all that and bushwackers for fender flares.

I'm vain so all that seems reasonably priced to me.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #4

We have a Yakima rack on ours. It works great with our gear box. I also put the high lift and sand ladders on it if going for a long trip. Im not a fan of full size racks. I think they look cool but are not very functional. If you carry so much stuff up top that you need a full size rack, you are probably carrying too much stuff on the roof.
2010 BMW GSA 30th
medicfernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicfernando
Im not a fan of full size racks. I think they look cool but are not very functional. If you carry so much stuff up top that you need a full size rack, you are probably carrying too much stuff on the roof.
I love mine. It mounts on the side so water intrusion is minimal, all my solar is on it, all my off road LED lighting is on it (wireing runs in the tubing) and I keep my Yakama pod on the rack. Yes they are not for push up tops and they do add weight to the top but I don't carry heavy items up there unless it's camping stuff that is off loaded at camp. Basically the pod is storage for those traveling with me. While traveling by myself the pod is usually empty. My first reason why I didn't order it with a rack was the trouble to keep the top waxed. That was resolved with the rhino sprayed top. I had issues with the Yakama towers. They also were reaching for limbs. My rack can crash through brush if need be and actually can be considered protection. I will admit they are kinda expensive. YMMV

Attached Thumbnails
DSC death valley.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote